Youtube Bans Brand Sponsored Videos

Link: http://digiday.com/platforms/youtube-moves-outside-overlay-ads/

So in effort to drive everything through Google Adsense Youtube is beginning to put a limit to ad-sponsored videos. Which will effect independent sponsor campaigns severely. Channels will be forced to only go through Adsense or if the advertisers wants to sponsor a video they'll have to go through Youtube so that they get a cut. Screwing over a lot of people who may use things like MCN or just users like myself who depend on these sort of campaigns over Adsense. Their argument is to allow for less ads on a video and a better experience to the viewer without any other option. Hopefully we can disable Adsense entirely and allow for sponsored content. But still not happy with this.

matt112234

Professional
You see if YouTube was an independent website and not a part of a huge multinational corporation I'd be totally ok with them stopping sponsored videos which the money doesn't go through them. An independent site would need to make as much profit as they can from their number one product. Whereas that isn't the case and it just feels like Google is making YouTube so Google that it feels like an iOS device does. It feels all locked down, streamlined but like all interconnected and locked down.

Jamie

Professional
This is ridiculous. I'm not a content producer on YouTube, but I do understand that a lot people make a living off YouTube and Ad Sense alone doesn't provide them with enough income - which is why they use sponsors.

Just another example of Google being power hungry and wanting all the money.

Duncan

Administrator
I'm going to go devil's advocate and say that as a viewer without an ad blocker, i would be bombarded with ads, a block on the right, a text overlay on the video, a pre-roll and then technically a mid-roll for another product, it's very heavy for some content. Compare it to TV that has a section in the middle and the rest is pure content

As a producer that no longer monetises any of his videos, I would say that earnings from that site is partially done because of the sites popularity, content producers are lucky they're getting regular income from it

OP
A
I'm going to go devil's advocate and say that as a viewer without an ad blocker, i would be bombarded with ads, a block on the right, a text overlay on the video, a pre-roll and then technically a mid-roll for another product, it's very heavy for some content. Compare it to TV that has a section in the middle and the rest is pure content

As a producer that no longer monetises any of his videos, I would say that earnings from that site is partially done because of the sites popularity, content producers are lucky they're getting regular income from it
Just spent some time looking it all over as I shot a video on the subject. Totally agree with that perspective as far as a user who is off Adblock or for that matter a majority of viewers on Youtube. I don't want to bombard them as a creator with ads but nowadays the landscape or advertising has changed dramatically. For instance video podcasts via Youtube who have sponsors within their videos can now no longer integrate adsense + independent campaigns within their video. If they wanted to your limited to a "Text-only Title" or the option of Youtube getting a cut from that campaign. Further more theres just a lot of creative people out there who make content & you wouldn't even be able to tell that the video was sponsored if it wasn't for the last couple of seconds where they thank such & such for sponsoring said video.

I just don't think 5-10 seconds of a video that may be 10+ minutes long should determine whether or not you can have adsense enabled. Rather I feel they should give control to creators to disable pre-roll adsense ads or things of that nature if they want to reduce the # of ads displayed. The big/main issue is that Google isn't getting a cut of these branding/sponsored campaigns.

Totally agree Adsense is a luxury & convenience for all of us partners. However at the same time the creators make the site what it is & I feel rather than force partners to determine how they should create their content & deal with situations such as other revenue streams they should empower it & provide better controls.

WizardCM

Trainee
Here's the thing though, Youtube isn't making any money. They say it's because people embed the videos rather than viewing directly, but here's my list of reasons.
  • By bombarding viewers with ads, people are basically forced to use an ad blocker - therefore, less ad revenue (and their fix for this? more ads!)
  • Their main method of building a consistent viewership, the Subscription box, is hidden, frequently breaks and isn't really highlighted by YouTube.
  • Everything I mention in this blog post.
  • The tip jar and similar money making ideas are being rolled out slowly, making them useless for YouTube to make money through.
  • Because of their monopoly, they're not innovating - so people are changing how they work, like moving gaming content to Twitch.
  • YouTube don't seem to understand their audience - and therefore make mistakes there. They don't want gaming videos to be at the top, they tried to make money through movie rentals, and their crappy new rules for music creators.
  • Their crappy copyright flagging system that flags anything and everything it can find for any reason.
It's simple - they're killing themselves. They just don't get it. Limiting how people can get money through their site is just another example of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duncan

Administrator
I think the site is already at critical mass to worry about killing themselves, they have enough of a user base that will deal with any change they put forward

InsaneMatt

Expert
Your title is very misleading.
Google haven't 'banned' such sponsorships, but instead want a large percentage of the payout (somewhere around 40%). This'll drastically impact channels such as LinusTechTips, who heavily lean on this type of income.

OP
A
Your title is very misleading.
Google haven't 'banned' such sponsorships, but instead want a large percentage of the payout (somewhere around 40%). This'll drastically impact channels such as LinusTechTips, who heavily lean on this type of income.
Yeah, apologies for that maybe its not so much a ban. But regardless its forcing creators to either A) Settle up with Youtube giving them a big cut of your advert deal. B) Forbid you from doing it at all (or excessively cutting you down to a text title)

Regardless, from what I've seen thus far they haven't been able to enforce this at scale with channels. Think it'd rely more on user reporting for those who are bothered with the pre-rolls etc for them to even notice.