Wubi - Simplest way to install Ubuntu.

I

Infrasound

With pictures: http://metus.marukatat.com/translxp/

Wubi - Simplest way to install Ubuntu.
September 30, 2008

What is Wubi?

Wubi, short for Windows-Ubuntu installer. The simplest way to get Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu Linux installed without burning it to a disc. Great for beginners who does not have any partitioning knowledge and great for those who just want to try out Ubuntu and easily delete it later.

Wubi installs and dual boot between Linux and Windows. You can not remove windows.

Requirements:

1. The Ubuntu iso image…Download this off the Ubuntu’s website or by torrent.
  2. Windows XP/Vista

Method:

1. Download Wubi from: http://wubi-installer.org
  2. Save it to the same location as your Ubuntu’s iso image.
  3. Click Wubi to run it.
  4. Wubi starts. You can now configure your future Ubuntu installation, i.e., you can specify the location of the Ubuntu installation on your Windows partition(s), the size of the Ubuntu installation.
  5. Click Next to start installing Ubuntu
  6. It will take a while to complete.
  7. Once completed, you’ll see this screen prompting to restart.
  9. When the system reboots, you should now see a boot menu from which you can select your Windows system and the new Ubuntu system. Please select Ubuntu and press Enter
  10. Since, Ubuntu is not fully installed yet, the installation will continue…
  11. Once completed, Ubuntu will be on your system, ready for you to boot in.

Everytime you boot your computer, you’ll have a choice to boot into windows or Ubuntu

Deleting Ubuntu

Deleting Ubuntu is as easy as hell.

Wubi allows you to Remove ubuntu like removing any applications.

1. Go to Control Pannel > Add/Remove
  2. Find Ubuntu and then click Remove..

Done! Ubuntu is now fully deleted! When you boot your computer, the boot screen will not show up and will boot directly on to windows!

shooter19

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I prefer the wubi installer as Im not keen on the linux MBR and you cant remove it without corrupting xp(which I did) and it wouldnt let me install xp without turning my laptop off 5 minutes in but luckily I had windows vista on a disk as it installs its own mbr and vista saved the day then I could run back into xp again :relaxed:

O

opensource_archive

Hope you get on ok. But WUBI is the best option if you do not want to mess up your current MBR. But in WUBI installations do not support Hibernation in them due to lack of SWAP space.

T

TomDWC

Great tutorial, thanks. Looking forward to trying another OS in Ubuntu.

I'm having some problems though, when trying to partition my hard drive in Paragon Partition Manager 9, I recieve the following error message -

Operation failed

The restart operation, that has been requested now,
cannot be performed under this 64-bit edition of Windows.
Please use recovery CD for this purpose.

I'm running 64-bit Vista Home Premium, I have a 1TB HDD and was trying to create a 120GB NTFS partition for Linux.

The software states that it works on 64-bit so I'm a bit exhasperated by this error message. Any ideas? Thanks.

alemao

One Post Wonder
Reactions
0 0 0
I have been trying for 2 days now to set up a dual boot (win xp + ubuntu 8.10 i386) via wubi the latest exe.Downloaded 26th of march but i have some problems.Someone pls help out?
The story goes like so....
Downloaded wubi and started teh process..->it downloaded AMD 64bit version of ubuntu (as it should cause it found that my system is 64bit) i did exactly what the steps said in the post here and after the dual menu i had many issues regarding the continuation of the install...(sometimes it stopped whilst inthe ubuntu orange bar, other times it would try to finish instsall and wouldnt).Once i was able to finisht the install and get into the OS but the moment i saw the desktop the pc hanged and froze.
I thought maybe its the 64bit and downloaded the i386 iso from the original site.
Tried again the wubi process and the process would stop in the partitioning window.....
I pressed ESC once i restarted and chose ubuntu to boot and went to the list of what and how to install  and i chose the option above the ACPI ( if i remember correct it was for problematic gfx choose this or sommti like that).
This way the install finished and installed fully.I relogged to xp and saw that the swap was 400mb even though i didnt have an option to choose how much the swap should be....i thought it was the default value and terminated XP properly and relogged to ubuntu.
Once in the desktop i tried to enable the gfx 3d and the system froze. I restarted and i did it again and froze again. I restarted and tried to login to my wireless network and once i logged into it it froze.
It seems that something is not allowing the system to work properly.

This happens even if i try to enable wireless networking.Sometimes it also happens if i leave the systtem idle for the 1st 30 secs.

I got a 64bit 3ghz intel with nvidia 1gb ram.
I got a usb device (Belkin wireless receiver).
My card is Nvidia Geforce 6200Turbocache and my monitor HP w2207h.
the OS is done but it hangs.Anyone with any solutions pls feel free to contact me.I feel lost.

P.S
I m really sorry for the "thesis" but i thought it would be better if i gave the full picture to someone it would help more.

Reactions
5 0 0
Its a good idea but there's an even better application out there that allows Ubuntu, and several other Linux Distros to be installed from a USB drive.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

All you need to do is select the Linux distro you want to use, and then the application will download the ISO or you can download the ISO yourself and tell the application to use it.

Create the USB drive and then in the BIOS of your PC make sure that USB is in the boot / load order preferbly at the top, and then insert your USB then reboot the PC and you'll boot into Linux from there you can install the OS.

It even has its own users guide. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide