Windows 10 to launch 'this summer' with free upgrades even for pirated copies

Gekz

Guru
Microsoft has inched closer to announcing an official release date for Windows 10. The new operating system, which is currently in a public preview release, "will launch in 190 countries and 111 languages around the world this summer," according to the company.

Executive Vice President Terry Meyerson, who runs the Windows division, made the announcement at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.

In a separate interview, Meyerson told Reuters that the company plans to deliver free Windows 10 upgrades to all customers, even those running pirated versions of Windows. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Meyerson told Reuters.
Source - http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-to-launch-this-summer-with-free-upgrades-for-pirated-copies/

-

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Duncan

Administrator
Interesting, with the Techical Preview expiring mid april, I'm guessing there won't be long for people to try the Consumer Preview

Much faster than their previous times

OP
Gekz

Gekz

Guru
This is good. Means I can have my damned start menu experience back. :smile:
It's even better then that xD

It brings what was actually good about the metro interface and combines it with the start menu. Win win!
I feel like a microsoft fan boy at this stage, especially with all the shocking things they have done like making .Net opensource and offering Visual Studio for free.

Edit:

Slightly off topic. The requirements are interesting. I don't even have UEFI so, is that going to be a baked in requirement or just a preferred optional requirement.

-

Attachments

jake12001200

Expert
YES! Will leave it a week after the launch to download it, but I am very much looking forward to a UI change :smiley:

AppleHead493

Professional
I like Windows 8, but something kept taking me back to Windows 7. But from what i've seen at the moment I am loving Windows 10 as it's what Windows 8 should of been. So looking forward to the release!!

InsaneMatt

Expert
From what I've heard, it sounds as if Microsoft are going to make it a requirement to connect your OS with a Microsoft Account.
I personally refuse to do such a thing. I see no legitimate reason why I'd need to this outside of "cloud settings" and "app purchases" (both of which I use third party applications for anyway).

There's reports that Microsoft want to try and make the OS in the vein of Free-to-Play games with more sought after features becoming a type of 'DLC'.
Microsoft Paint? That's 5 USD. Microsoft Notepad? Nope, instead pay us 9.99 USD every month for Office!
Don't even get me started on the whole Xbox Live thing being part of the OS! *shudders*

Think I'll stick to Windows 7 for the foreseeable future.

InsaneMatt

Expert
This helps so much with services such as one drive and downloading apps - syncronization with tablets and phones, it really isn't much different from apple's system
As I said, beyond storing your settings "to the cloud" there's no reason.
I personally use DropBox, so I have absolutely no need for this login requirement (if there is one). I purchase my games off Steam (and other online retailers such as Amazon and GreenManGaming), so I don't need to login for "apps" neither.

thedigi321

Guru
As I said, beyond storing your settings "to the cloud" there's no reason.
I personally use DropBox, so I have absolutely no need for this login requirement (if there is one). I purchase my games off Steam (and other online retailers such as Amazon and GreenManGaming), so I don't need to login for "apps" neither.
true but sooner or later windows 7 will be obsolete and support will stop just like xp. wouldn't you like to be "in the know" with how windows 10 works?

jake12001200

Expert
sooner or later windows 7 will be obsolete and support will stop
Saying that, it took a hell of a long time for that to happen with xp (15 years or so?) - Pretty much everywhere I go now uses Windows 7 and I don't think businesses will be willing to upgrade to 10 until they know the system is secure and that security leaks are obsolete. I think it'll be 7/8 years before we see windows 7 disappear

stunklegran

Trainee
Also: Windows 10 will NOT be a free upgrade for pirated users.

See here.

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state. The free Windows 10 upgrade offer does not apply to pirates, which I wrote about two months ago. If you do upgrade a pirated version of Windows to Windows 10, it will remain “non genuine” and is thus still pirated and still not supported. We knew this.

OP
Gekz

Gekz

Guru
Also: Windows 10 will NOT be a free upgrade for pirated users.
That was confirmed about a week after this original post, I just couldn't be bothered to update it as it just wasn't worth the effort. It's still a "free" upgrade it's just not in the sense that you are thinking of as in free beer. You'll still get all the benefits of a legit license just with an added annoyance.

There's other stuff like a different kind of watermark and Candy Crush will be installed on your computer automatically etc. No idea why you are using some random blog site for that information when it's available right at the source - http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/15/genuine-windows-and-windows-10/