Will VR / AR be a gimmick?

illage2

Expert
It seems to me that things like the occulus rift will be nothing more than a gimmick.

Lets look at the PS VR. It costs around the same price as the PS4 console and as it stands its a big ivestment for something that might not even take off and thus we'll have a lack of content for it.

Occulus is going the same way. You also need a really powerful PC to use it which limits its audience. Again would this be something that's worth the added development time and cost for games? Probably not because a majority of the audience would likely not even bother with it. Plus I keep seeing Occulus and Mobile in the same paragraphs... marketing it to the wrong audience. Can anyone seriously see them selves wearing a VR headset to play CandyCrush?

Hololense looks interesting, but again the points I made above. Price, Development time, there's no way to know if it'll see any adoption at all. Plus MS marketed the hololense to gamers first yet gamers won't be the first to get it.

Its reminding me of 3D TV, everyone wanted to jump on it but people just didn't care and it never justified the cost.

Does anyone else think that VR / AR will be a gimmick and nothing more?

Duncan

Administrator
There has to be something good enough to not be inconvenient and not be expensive.

So far I haven't seen anything that meets both.

Sonark

Administrator
To me, I personally can't wait for things like Occulus Rift to release, just because I really like the concept of it.
The Omni (shown below) is another thing I'm excited for, simply because it's pretty awesome and I imagine having a lot of fun playing different games with it. I guess it's also a way to get a bit of exercise? :P. I'm going to wait for it to become cheaper than it currently is ($700 for the whole package is not cheap!) but I will definitely be investing in it personally.

I can see why people won't be attracted by it, but for those who have the PC and are genuinly interested in a new experience or even just enhancing their current experience, I can see it doing well.

-

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Euan

Trainee
As someone with an oculus rift (dk2), it is really amazing, the technology isn't at a consumer level yet but what it will able to do once the technology gets there will be huge, if you need a 3D environment where people around the globe can talk to each other, test things, play games or more then VR is really awesome for it and can be really useful. As for AR check out the Pokemon AR thing, its like Pokemon IRL apparently. Also i should mention there is currently no consumer VR device available yet apart from ones built before 2000 or that gear VR, the dk1 and dk2 as the name suggests are development kits.

Duncan

Administrator
I can see why people won't be attracted by it, but for those who have the PC and are genuinly interested in a new experience or even just enhancing their current experience, I can see it doing well.

-
That would be awesome to see in an arcade, considering our arcades are full of janky 1950s two pence machines.

Maybe an actual reason to go one (other than a side thing to going to a beach)

Last edited:

Euan

Trainee
To add, I just watched the oculus conference live in VR with about 10 other people, was quite cool as we could talk to each other. Also in the conference they announced twitch and netflix support for the gear VR

OP
illage2

illage2

Expert
There has to be something good enough to not be inconvenient and not be expensive.

So far I haven't seen anything that meets both.
Yep that's why at the moment it won't be anything more than a gimmick.

Gekz

Guru
Yep that's why at the moment it won't be anything more than a gimmick.
You're thinking too small of the scope of the applications that this can be useful for if you think that these are mere gimmicks.

At first it may look like a gimmick due to being price gated, but last time I checked, At lot of products were the same, You could say 3D is a gimmick yet, it has pushed forward holographic technology quite a bit due to there being a market sector there. Once prices drop (and they will) for VR / AR tech, more and more people will adopt it. Japan was going to do it for there world cup and stream live games onto our local football pitches.

thedigi321

Guru
It seems to me that things like the occulus rift will be nothing more than a gimmick.

Lets look at the PS VR. It costs around the same price as the PS4 console and as it stands its a big ivestment for something that might not even take off and thus we'll have a lack of content for it.

Occulus is going the same way. You also need a really powerful PC to use it which limits its audience. Again would this be something that's worth the added development time and cost for games? Probably not because a majority of the audience would likely not even bother with it. Plus I keep seeing Occulus and Mobile in the same paragraphs... marketing it to the wrong audience. Can anyone seriously see them selves wearing a VR headset to play CandyCrush?

Hololense looks interesting, but again the points I made above. Price, Development time, there's no way to know if it'll see any adoption at all. Plus MS marketed the hololense to gamers first yet gamers won't be the first to get it.

Its reminding me of 3D TV, everyone wanted to jump on it but people just didn't care and it never justified the cost.

Does anyone else think that VR / AR will be a gimmick and nothing more?
as for the hololensthe price right now is of course going to be high, and from my understanding it is going to be shipped for developers who have that kind of money to spend to develop for VR i believe the price will drop when it is released to the masses, you made excellent points of everything else :relaxed:

Ultimately, this is how we are going to interact with technology in the future so, all aspects, though expensive, must be embraced. As @Gekz said, these products push forward the technology which will, in time, bring down price etc. You can't deny the allure of it.