What Was The First Computer You Ever Used?

Post below your memories of the first machines you ever got your hands on. These experiences turned a lot of us into what we are today.

Strictly speaking, my first interaction with a computer was the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) - -

But, my first real PC experience was on this bad boy circa-1991. The Acorn BBC Master -
-

"The Acorn BBC Master 512 was a BBC Master computer with an 80C186 Co-Processor card fitted and 512 kB memory. It also had the ability to run DOS Plus and the GEM graphical user interface." -ComputingHistory

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

jake12001200

Expert
I honestly can't remember the exact specifications, but the first one I ever used had an 8GB HDD and the first one I ever owned had a 20GB HDD and no sound card. Both computers have since been taken the the local dump.

Jamie

Professional
The first computer I used was our family computer. It was made by Tiny Computers Ltd. and ran Windows 95. For as long as I can remember, we have always had this machine, so my Dad must of got it fairly soon after the release of Windows 95.

It was this computer that sparked my interest in computing. It is where I learnt the basics of computers and the internet (with AOL's finest dial up internet).

It was several years back that my parents wanted to get rid of the computer - it was fairly bulky, and the monitor (being a CRT) was bulky too, they wanted to free up some space in the house. It is a shame really, but my Dad gave me the opportunity to poke around inside it before binning it. Along with a sheet of paper from Tiny Computers Ltd. I managed to find out what hardware was inside this machine. It had an Intel Pentium II CPU I believe, can't remember the exact speed. Can't remember the amount of RAM it had, but I remember it had a normal size hard disk (3.5") with 2GB total storage (wow!). It had a video card, sound card and a modem card in it as well. Several years later, this machine was replaced with a newer HP machine when Windows XP came out.

Duncan

Administrator
I don't remember the exact model, I think it was compaq, but it ran an early version of MS DOS (3.0 I think?), had a thick keyboard, and I remember trying to figure out GW-Basic as a young kid (Internet came way later, before we moved to QBASIC in later DOS versions. It was my dad's computer)

It also had 5 1/4 inch floppies.

Through the DOS versions I learned about Autoexec.bat, command.com, ramdisk.sys, config.sys, cdrom.sys, prompt $P$G and all that jazz.

First console was a MegaDrive II, I do remember someone at school having a console that took 20 minutes to load a game from a tape, never got round to finding out which one.

Jamie

Professional
First console was a MegaDrive II, I do remember someone at school having a console that took 20 minutes to load a game from a tape, never got round to finding out which one.
Sega mega drive... That was a brilliant console. It was either that or the playstation that was the first console I played on.

Anyone play James pond on the mega drive. That game was mental.

Imkihca

Trainee
My dad gave me this old beast as my first computer;
-
The only thing I can really remember about it is sinking a whooole lot of hours into lemmings and a crazy paint like program that was pretty awesome. Pretty sure the thing was older than I was.

Attachments

OP
Dan Valverde
My dad gave me this old beast as my first computer;
-
The only thing I can really remember about it is sinking a whooole lot of hours into lemmings and a crazy paint like program that was pretty awesome. Pretty sure the thing was older than I was.
I remember using this in Junior School!

Attachments

stunklegran

Trainee

illage2

Expert
First PC I ever used was a Windows 98 PC from Time Computers was one of the first PC's to have a DVD Drive, but it wouldn't play DVD's because it would freeze the PC.
Edit: Changed image and this is exactly what the PC looked like.
-
It got to a point where it was always in safe mode when it was switched on. Looking back it was one of the worst PC's ever.

Attachments

AppleHead493

Professional
First PC I ever used was a Windows 98 PC from Time Computers was one of the first PC's to have a DVD Drive, but it wouldn't play DVD's because it would freeze the PC.
Edit: Changed image and this is exactly what the PC looked like.
-
It got to a point where it was always in safe mode when it was switched on. Looking back it was one of the worst PC's ever.
I had one just like this as well =D this was another hand me down and PC no.2 for me =P