What the hell is this steam?

illage2

Expert
Hey guys, you may refer to me as a "Noob" but I was wondering what on earth is Steam all about.

When i try to install half life 2 it asks me to create a steam, can anyone tell me what this is, and wether it is fre or not.

I don't really play PC games online, I have my Xbox 360 for that.

So please can anyone tell me what Steam is?

Becuase I don't want to pay £30 for the game and then end up paying god knows how much for the Steam account in order to play it when I don't play online.

So is there a work around?
Any help would be gratley appricated.

daniel

Expert
I delt with steam when i bought football manager 2009

baiscilly you could by the game of steam and you didnt need the disk

Have you tried downloading the steam program?

Its free btw

OP
illage2

illage2

Expert
Daniel link said:
I delt with steam when i bought football manager 2009

baiscilly you could by the game of steam and you didnt need the disk

Have you tried downloading the steam program?

Its free btw
Ah right so the whole thing about steam is buying the game online and downloading it, thus curbing the need for the disc?
And you say creating an account is free?

Crazywills

When you install the game it will install steam, you just have to make an account and a password and then your done - Its a bit like a Xbox live account except that its free and on the PC. You can still install off the disk like you normally would, but it stores all of your CD keys on your account, so you can download the games if you ever loose the disk. You can also purchase new games on steam using a credit card, but it isn't necessary to have a credit card to make an account.

windows234

Expert
steam is a game hander i got it duncan has it, you need things for steam like you buy trackmaina, you need steam if you have garrys mod, steam again, its like that

InsaneMatt

Expert
STEAM is a digital distribution program for games that was made by Value. Think of it as the iTunes of gaming.

With STEAM, you can buy your games online and then download them off the STEAM servers.
Creating (and owning) an account is free, but you have to buy the games.
You can download your games as many times as you wish, so you don't have to worry about making backups (unless of course you wish to save some bandwidth).

Hope that helps.

Kjekse

Trainee

Sorry, I just had too.

Crazycat542

Expert
Steam is a client for Valve games

If anything from valve you need to have steam

Anyway back to the point it is a client where you can buy games and you download them