What Colour Is This Dress? Internet Split Over True Colour

samfty

Guru
i can see the dress as black and blue AND white and gold. like wtf am i sick or something.

it also depends what the background of the website is as how i see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cause of the difference of opinion can be explained by the way our brains process what we see.

"The phenomenon of colour constancy means your brain will adjust the colour of an object depending on its surroundings or illumination," said Ashley Wood, a lecturer and optometrist at Cardiff University.

"So if there’s a lot of blue in the environment, for example, the brain will subtract blue from the image your eye sees."

"There’s also the process of colour adaptation, where the colour you perceive is affected by what you have previously been looking at.

"This effect is easily demonstrated as an after image, if you view something that is red for 30 seconds, then look at a white background it will appear green for a short time.

"Depending on the context it’s probably one or both of these effects which are allowing people to see the image differently."

-Sky News

Jamie

Professional
Blue and black for me. However, I have once seen white and gold.

illage2

Expert
I don't think stuff like this really matters, its just a dress colour at the end of the day not a big deal. However the dress is white/lightgrey and gold.