Ultimate Live CD Thread

Reactions
0 0 0
I thought it would be a good idea to put a thread together containing all sorts of Live CDs in one place, be them *nix Distros or System Utilities.

These are only ones that I have / know about. Please post your own as a response to this post so I can add them to the main thread.

Linux Distros:

Ubuntu 9.04 - Arguably the most popular Linux Distro at this time. Very well suited for beginners. See also Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Fedora 11 - The bleeding edge for the Red Hat Enterprise (commercial) Distribution. Includes the latest and greatest but isn't the most stable. It's also my favorite GNU/Linux OS if that means anything to you :relaxed:

Linux Mint 7 - Essentially Ubuntu with a much nicer looking UI. It also includes some Mint Specific Packages.

BackTrack 4 - Probably the best Pen Testing Linux Environment. Includes many different tools that system admins would find extremely useful.

Slax - The "Pocket Operating System." Allows you to build your own before you download, allowing you to add additional tools specific to your needs.

Debian - The stable OS that Ubuntu, Mint, and many others are based off of. Known for having the most packages available to install.

Damn Small Linux - Often called DSL, Damn Small Linux is know for being extremley small, only taking up 50 MB, and having low system requirements.

PCLinuxOS - Essentially, a Linux Distro that a long time PC user would have no problem with. They share similar UIs.

Mandriva - Formerly Mandrake, Mandriva aims at making Linux easy. I've never tried it though, so don't quote me on that one. More info can be found here

Kanotix - A self proclaimed "Rock Solid" Distro based off of Debian. I would assume that you have the ability to install any packages you could in Debian in Kanotix.

Knippix - Another Debian based Distro

Arch Linux - A very minimalistic OS, but definitely not suited for beginners.

Zenwalk - Featuring a fast XFCE desktop environment. Focused on "One software per task" policy to include almost software for every tasks. Also includes Live cd version

Puppy - Really small OS around 100 MB in size. Includes wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games and image editors. Low system requirements. Focused on speed. It's incredibly fast!

gOS - A complete online workstation. Based on Ubuntu. Featuring Google applications.

System Utilities:

Ophcrack - Allow you to "crack" the password on a Windows machine before the Boot-Up

Kon-Boot - Allow you to completely bypass the password.

System Rescue CD - An "all in one" CD that contains some very useful tools. A page going into great detail about them can be found here

I know that there are hundreds, if not thousands more Live CDs. Please post your own so we can make this list longer.

*Last Edit* Added Zenwalk, Pupply, and gOS

Duncan

Administrator
Reactions
169 1 0
Great post, stickied inside the new OS Discussion area

Reactions
33 2 0
Awesome Hexflash great start to the new board, My favirote  two operating systems that are live CD caibible are Ubuntu 9.04 and Damn Small Linux they are awesome i use them mainly in my virtual box i wonder what the others are like maybe i will try them in the near future but all in all well done Hexflash for getting the new board started!!!

Reactions
0 0 0
A great thread :relaxed:
I'd also include the following

Zenwalk: Featuring a fast XFCE desktop environment. Focused on "One software per task" policy to include almost software for every tasks. Also includes Live cd version

Puppy: Really small OS around 100 MB in size. Includes wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games and image editors. Low system requirements. Focused on speed. It's incredibly fast!

gos: A complete online workstation. Based on Ubuntu. Featuring Google applications.

Reactions
33 2 0
Oh yea i remember the puppy OS never used it

ItsAllLinux

If you have used share some info please

Reactions
0 0 0
Adamline link said:
Oh yea i remember the puppy OS never used it

ItsAllLinux

If you have used share some info please
I've never used it either just because I don't really need it :P
My computer isn't that crap to run a decent full featured operating system.
Puppy is for lowends.

Reactions
13 0 0
My Fav is Backtrack 4, u can test alot of ur systems and servers and security with that lil neat distro xD its the only linux based OS i will ever use

nice post btw xD

Reactions
33 2 0
SuperCompTV link said:
I have xubuntu. Wich is a run down version of ubuntu for lower end pcs
Later or tomorrow

I will be installing Xbuntu on my computer as a dual boot!

Reactions
0 0 0
How about adding Ubuntu Ultimate Edition to the list!!

But anyway Nice List!

Reactions
33 2 0
Brandon Giesing link said:

But anyway Nice List!
i agree thats excellent add it Hexflash please

Reactions
0 0 0
Brandon Giesing link said:

But anyway Nice List!
Could you guys give me a link and description? I've never used it before...

Thanks

Reactions
0 0 0
HexFlash link said:
[quote author=Brandon Giesing link=topic=6339.msg59654#msg59654 date=1252065637]

But anyway Nice List!
Could you guys give me a link and description? I've never used it before...

Thanks
[/quote]

All can be found here: http://ultimateedition.info/