UK 'hacker' fights US extradition

Again i have another extract:

This would include: gaining access to financial or administrative records, but intent would have to be proved.

Nothing has been proved. Another part says:

This would include: destroying another user's files; modifying system files; creation of a virus; introduction of a local virus; introduction of a networked virus; changing examination results; and deliberately generating information to cause a complete system malfunction.

He hasn't done any of that.

OP
L

liam

Professional
I know. The main reason also for them not wanting to sign the Extradition Treaty is that they don't want to send their crinimals here!

Here is a quote from the Interveiw with the BBC's Click programes presenter Spencer Kelly (SK) and Gary McKinnon (GM):

SK: You acknowledge that what you did was against the law, it was wrong, don't you?

GM: Unauthorised access is against the law and it is wrong.

SK: What do you think is a suitable punishment for someone who did what you did?

GM: Firstly, because of what I was looking for, I think I was morally correct. Even though I regret it now, I think the free energy technology should be publicly available.

I want to be tried in my own country, under the Computer Misuse Act, and I want evidence brought forward, or at least want the Americans to have to provide evidence in order to extradite me, because I know there is no evidence of damage.
He is saying exactly what I think!

J

JustPoo

Sorry my connection went down. So let me get this straight, you're saying that they have to fully prove the case before the guy is tried? Law doesn't work that way, international law even less so. He is to be extradicted because there's evidence that he tampered with and accessed computers that he shouldn't have. He's admitted to it and he's also admitted intent. Can I just point out that you do not know what he did or didn't do. Assuming that a person is innocent until proven guilty is one thing in theoretical terms, but actually stating that the party is literally innocent of the crimes of which is he accused when you are not privy to any of the records or inside information is making claims to something that you simply do not and cannot know. It seems more to be a matter of you believing his story over the US government's, that's great but the law is a bit more rigorous.

OP
L

liam

Professional
He admited to gaining access, yes. But he didn't admit to damaging anything infact he denied it. This is what they want him up for!

J

JustPoo

The part about gaining access: that's grounds enough for extradiction. He hasn't hacked into his next doors neighbours Wi-Fi, he's compromised the security and added files to the US Military's computer systems. He's actually very lucky that the prosecutors seem to be saying that the sentence is likely to be light. If you still feel the case against him needs to be proven against him before he is extradicted then you misunderstand the way the law works. We will not see a kangaroo court in such a high profile case, if there's insufficent evidence to prosecute him on the charge of damage then he will be proven innocent. Either way, we probably know why he doesn't want to be extradicted, he wants to escape punishment by the US government because he knows that they have a stronger case than he's letting on.

Akura

Professional
henryjsaunders link said:
it dosnt disobey the Computer Misuse Act 1994. An extract says:

The Act identifies three specific offences:
- Unauthorised access to computer material (that is, a program or data).
- Unauthorised access to a computer system with intent to commit or facilitate the commission of a serious crime.
- Unauthorised modification of computer material.

The computer material wasn't unauthorised if it didn't have a password to protect and block functionality of this.
He didn't intent to commit a serious crime and didn't commit one.
He didn't modify any material.
Unauthorised means he didn't have permission, not that it he had to have a password.
Its all in the definition.
I have no comment on this hacker, cause i live in the US and this just seems like a big US Hate thread.
I agree its stupid not to have a password, but that is the governments fault.
As for you guys saying that the English language is your language, that is true. It started over there. But so did we. It is technically ours as well. It just evolved into 2 different forms.
But i wont get started on you guys stereotyping US citizens and our government. Yes we chose Bush, cause at the time he did seem so stupid. Now everyone here hates him practically.

But as for this hacker, good job. Maybe they will add a password now. If you do get shipped over here, you'll be wishing you would've just taken the 2 years. I would've. Good luck on all this though it doesn't really matter to me.

OP
L

liam

Professional
US Hate Thread. ROFL. ::relaxed:
See what I mean? I make a topic on an English hacker and the US "Goverment" notice how I put Goverment there?
I don't mean the whole of America I mean the Red Neck's basicaly and the "Goverment".

Like just now I had one of you lot mocking my accent and coming up with "Speak English you dumbass peice of s*it Brit"
You lot seem to claim English as "your" langauge.

I am not saying all Americans are Imature, Ignorant and also arrogrant just most.
I've met some on XBOX Live that are actualy very considerate and I am not saying that we don't have simmilar people over here that start for no reason. I beleive in "Treat others how you wish to be treated"

This is a message I just recieved from an American after he had been shouting racsist remarks at me in a game:

J

JustPoo

I'd like to quickly make clear my views on the US: I'm not anti-US, at least not in general. I am against the current administration and certain types of thinking, actions and policies that are peculiar to the US, but that doesn't mean that I don't like the US or its citizens. Half of my family is American, I know that there's a large proportion of Americans that have the same reservations about the US as I do, but they're shouted down by the neo-cons and religious right. They voted in the wrong guy and now we're all paying for it, but that's just how democracy works sometimes. Akura was quite rightly bringing attention to the comments about the US not speaking proper English, and the one about there being more than a few retards there. Maybe not a hate thread but pretty offensive and completely irrelevant.

OP
L

liam

Professional
If you think so that's your opinion. Which in some ways I do agree with! BTW I updated the post above and added a picture of an abusive message that I recieved from an American

J

JustPoo

He's a pretty grumpy user alright! I hope you reported him, that's just out of order.

If I judged the US by the people I meet on LIVE then I'd have a low opinion of it. But I'd probably judge the UK quite low as there's a huge number of chavs and idiots from our own country too. Have you ever heard a chav bloke from Birmingham try to trash talk you? It was the funniest thing I'd ever heard.

I deal with abusive Americans online by using a southern US accent. Repeat exactly what they've said back to them, in a southern drawl. Drives em mad.

That was really stupid what that guy said on Xbox Live. There is lots of chavs from our country but this isn't what this topic is about. Anyway chavs come from horrible council estates but that happens in every country.

OP
L

liam

Professional
henryjsaunders link said:
That was really stupid what that guy said on Xbox Live. There is lots of chavs from our country but this isn't what this topic is about. Anyway chavs come from horrible council estates but that happens in every country.
Actualy neither is it about XBOX Live but JustPoo is right to include the UK. I do have friends from Birmingham (one of which is classed as a chav and I met him on XBOX Live). He's a pretty fine/kind lad.

OP
L

liam

Professional
JustPoo link said:
He's a pretty grumpy user alright! I hope you reported him, that's just out of order.
Ermm yeah about that....Nothing ever happens. Considering the whole game lobby was American/Canadian. I was the only English one there! But 1/2 of the Canadians stuck up for me =]

Oh and Henry how old are you?

OP
L

liam

Professional
Would just like to know. :-\

I'm fifteen years of age. (15) :laugh:

J

JustPoo

Ah that's another way to deal with them. Ask them which part of Canada they're from. And stand well back.

OP
L

liam

Professional
JustPoo link said:
Ah that's another way to deal with them. Ask them which part of Canada they're from. And stand well back.
Ask the Americans that? ???