UK 'hacker' fights US extradition

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
This has been going on since November 2002. Gary McKinnon an English man from North London has been fighting extraction from the UK to the US. He was caught in the US Military computers which I wouldn't class as hacking seeing as the stupid Americans had left the passwords for the systems as the default blank. The biggest (supposedely most powerfull) military in the world to make a mistake like that well it's just plain thick.  :-\

He was in their systems for two years using something simillar to PC Anywhere (remote desktop control) called Remotley Anywere so the computers he had 'hacked' well if there was a person walking by they could see the mouse moving. The reason that made him want look in the military computers was to find information on UFO's etc. He claimed that he had found a document on 'Anti-gravity' which the US has in their control and that it was soon to be released in the future to the public. The US made a big thing about it because they don't like being made out to look stupid (even though they have Bush as a president ;D) He was caught twice. Once by a woman who'd come back and just ended it. Another time he was caught by a 'Head Technician' the funniest thing about this is that he asked him what he was doing and Gary (English hacker) replied with some c*ck and bull story about being a person in high authority. The technician then just beleived what he said and started talking (trying to impress him) about his knowlodge of virus's. :-\ Says alot of the US security eh?

Apparently he had seen a heck of a lot of files that are 'Top Secret'. He admits to that but swears that he didn't cause this $1,000,000's of damage. Which is probably true.

The US offered him a deal at the time of being caught. They offered that he spent two years in jail over in America (probably so they could wipe his mind, brainwash him to take away the information he knows) and then to spend the rest of his time in England. He replied with something along the lines of "Why should I? I've not done anything wrong...in the US" They now want him in America to serve a jail sentance of 70 years.  :frowning:

My opinion on this is that it's a load of sh*t and has really made me angry. A couple of years back an English reporter was killed in Iraq by US soldiers (another great act of their supposedely 'great' military) we requested for the people responsible to be extradited to the UK to face their punishment here but did that happen? No. The USA refused.  >:pensive:

This is a quote from the solicitor representing Gary McKinnon.

"It is unknown why there has been such a delay in requesting such extradition. The English public need to ask themselves why English citizens are being extradited to the USA when the US government has not signed the extradition treaty between the two countries."

Which also backs up my opinion. =]

So then what are your thoughts?

If you'd like more information on his story do a search of "Gary McKinnon" on the BBC News Website. (www.bbc.co.uk/news)

Liam McGoldrick

P.S Sorry about the big long post, took me a while to type too. :P

Reactions
0 0 0
wow the US looks pretty stupid leaving the password black even I don't do that on my home computer.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
All he needed was a bit of Pearl Script and the PC Anywhere remote tool and he had access.

Reactions
0 0 0
lol. Nothing hard then. I could have hacked it if it was like that but i wouldn't because i would rather be in the uk.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
henryjsaunders link said:
lol. Nothing hard then. I could have hacked it if it was like that but i wouldn't because i would rather be in the uk.
I know. That's what he was saying. He wasn't caught! He told them the holes in their security and they basicaly didn't like it!
The good old Yank eh?

J

JustPoo

America has a bit of a history of this. But they have been made to look stupid and fallible, so we know what to expect: a big fat overreaction. He's going to the European Court isn't he? The problem is that there's actually no reason why he shouldn't be extradicted. His lawyers tried to plea that he would face Guantanamo Bay and suggested that one of the prosecutors had said that he'd "fry". He's actually quite likely to receive only a light sentence and serve only a few years. He picked a bad time to do it, post 9/11, and he did leave notes on their servers criticising their foreign policy, suggesting 9/11 was faked and intimating his further intentions "It was not a mistake that there was a huge security stand down on September 11 last year," he wrote. "I am SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels". That's a bit more than showing them they have security holes, if he'd have wanted to tell them: he just need say how he was accessing them and then leave. Now I don't want the guy to fry or even serve more than a couple of years, but the claims that he damaged files, cleared servers, knocked out systems and generally caused disruption actually ring quite true to me, after all, the guy is a conspiracy theory hacker. He appears to have got a bit caught up in the whole thing, spending his whole days drinking, smoking weed and hacking US Military computers. What did he expect them to do when he was caught? The US are famously paranoid and proud.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
To be honest I have had it with the US.

I play on the Xbox Live system regularly, mainly Call of Duty 4 (COD4).
I go into a game with a few friends of mine. English, Canadians etc. 3 out of the 100 on my friends list are Americans.
The truth is that I hardly ever meet a decent American on there. Anyway back on track. When I go into a game with my friends and start talking to them in the game lobby (in the morning/evening mainly) I hear one American go "Oh it's a British guy". And I just say "Yes I am English and I'm not not looking for an argument!" They then reply with either "Shut the F*ck up you British F*ggit" (I spelt i as 'F*ggit' seeing as they are so illiterate and can't prounounce it with the correct spelling 'F*ggot') Anyway I just ignore them at first and carry on talking to my friends but they still keep coming up with the ignorant, arrogant and racist remarks. Another one which really makes me laugh is "We kicked your ass in the Reveloutionary War" What they seem to forget it the man that lead them was George Washington. And also it wasn't them it was their ancestors who faught the war! They then usualy move on to such comments as "Shut it Brit-boy your country is being run by a woman". They seem not to realise that the Queen doesn't 'really' control the country and that our Primeinister (who is a complete tw*t) Gordon Brown does. It just really annoys me especialy how it seems that they all sound about 11 years old.

Reactions
0 0 0
I know. I dont get what some Americans have against the UK. We formed their county and made it powerful and then they revolt against us. They don't care what we did to get the country like it is and we are similar to them apart from there accent gets annoying after a while. No offense to decent Americans but most of them are just flat slobs that just sit around all day eating and playing on the Xbox. Its retarded.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I understand what you said ermm JustPoo :-\

But at the end of they day he didn't cause damage, just something they are claiming to try and make the British authorities/goverment to say that he should be extradated.
You think he should be extradated? There seriously is something wrong if they only were going to have him for two years then send him back. I know he wrote that stuff but hey 9/11 was VERY suspicious and still is.
Also where did he commit the crime? LONDON, ENGLAND! Not in America, so therefore he should face his punishment here!

They just don't like it that they were out smarted by a simple English man. When they are supposed to be something 'big'.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I know. I dont get what some Americans have against the UK. We formed their county and made it powerful and then they revolt against us. They don't care what we did to get the country like it is and we are similar to them apart from there accent gets annoying after a while. No offense to decent Americans but most of them are just flat slobs that just sit around all day eating and playing on the Xbox. Its retarded.
What I love is that they claim to be 'good' at the games when the only reason that they win against English people is because they are normaly the hosts of the game. Giving us bad connections.

One thing I can't stand is how they come up with "Learn how to speak English you dumbass" I'm like WTF?  >:pensive: >:pensive: >:pensive: >:pensive:
The hints in the name English and we're English. I would love to say back "Hey, if you don't like us don't speak OUR language!" The only reason why I don't is that I can't be bothered to argue and when I do try to something back they usualy make irritating noises so we can't speak. They then constantly bash our accent. When I've read on the web quite alot about how most of them love our accent! :laugh:

Reactions
0 0 0
Well they think they are big but they really arn't. Most of the Americans on here are nice its just a few retards out there.

Reactions
0 0 0
Hang on sorry for double post but they dont speak English. English is whaever the dictionary says in our country not theirs.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Well they think they are big but they really arn't. Most of the Americans on here are nice its just a few retards out there.
A few....there's alot more than a 'few' =P

BTW I updated my post after you replied so read it again. =]

J

JustPoo

Well yes I agree with you, it's a pride thing, they were hacked and that makes them look vulnerable. We saw what happened to their foreign policy after 9/11, there's millions of innocent people dead because some nutters flew planes into their buildings. The problem with the internet is that it's difficult to locate where someone should be prosecuted. The crime was technically committed in both places, but the damage (and I do tend to disagree with you there, I think he probably did do some) was in the US so that means they have the legal right to extradict him. If I were to let off a nuke from the safety of my back garden, and it flattened the US, there'd probably be good cause for my prosecution in all sorts of countries, not least the US.

As for US gamers on LIVE, don't get me started. I tend to host games and they only get one warning, the first racial or sexual slur that comes out of their mouths and they're gone. I play mostly with adults from the south of the US, they're polite and charming. It's the kids from North America I have the most problems with. But they're not all like that.

Reactions
0 0 0
thats true. I read it again and I'm really getting pi**ed off with some Americans. They probably don't even know what the extradition treaty is. Im not sure if it is true but this page says they have is it true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_extradition_treaties.

By the way justpoo. When you said the damage was in the US. There was no damage at all.

Reactions
0 0 0
it dosnt disobey the Computer Misuse Act 1994. An extract says:

The Act identifies three specific offences:
- Unauthorised access to computer material (that is, a program or data).
- Unauthorised access to a computer system with intent to commit or facilitate the commission of a serious crime.
- Unauthorised modification of computer material.

The computer material wasn't unauthorised if it didn't have a password to protect and block functionality of this.
He didn't intent to commit a serious crime and didn't commit one.
He didn't modify any material.

liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
thats true. I read it again and I'm really getting pi**ed off with some Americans. They probably don't even know what the extradition treaty is. Im not sure if it is true but this page says they have is it true:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_extradition_treaties.

By the way justpoo. When you said the damage was in the US. There was no damage at all.
I agree, untill they actualy come out with proof that he did damage stuff then I shall beleive them. What ever happened to Innocent untill proven guilty? He also said in an interview that when he did a "Net Send Command" he could see hackers from all over the world on their servers. Germany, Turkey and Russia etc. They just weren't caught.

Reactions
0 0 0
Another extract says:

Using another person's identifier (ID) and password without proper authority in order to use data or a program, or to alter, delete, copy or move a program or data, or simply to output a program or data (for example, to a screen or printer); laying a trap to obtain a password; reading examination papers or examination results.

If there wasn't a password he couldn't have used their password. he didn't do anything wrong.

By the way Liam on your last post America should be thanking him for working out a way of finding other system hackers.