SpyBot Search & Destroy

Reactions
0 0 0

Spybot - Search & Destroy (often Spybot-S&D) is a popular malware, spyware and adware removal program which works on Microsoft Windows 95 and later. Like most malware scanners, Spybot-S&D scans the computer hard disk and/or RAM for malicious software.

Spybot was written by the German software engineer Patrick Michael Kolla, and is distributed by Kolla's Irish company Safer Networking Limited. Development began in 2000 when Kolla, still a student, wrote a small program to deal with the Aureate/Radiate and Conducent TimeSink programs, two of the earliest examples of adware.
Spybot - Search & Destroy is currently released as freeware. However, the fine print of the license limits this to only free for private use. Corporate users are required to purchase a yearly license.

Spybot-S&D can fix problems with system internals (Registry), Winsock LSPs, ActiveX objects, browser hijackers and BHOs, and can to some extent protect a user's privacy by deleting usage tracks like tracking cookies. Spybot also includes an "Immunize" feature to block the installation of spyware before it occurs e.g. by modifying the hosts file. Another tool included in Spybot is a file shredder, for the secure deletion of files. Spybot is not intended to replace anti-virus programs, but it does detect some common trojans.
Spybot-S&D also recently added an anti-rootkit function.
The TeaTimer module can be optionally enabled, providing a level of active, real-time protection from undesirable registry changes and the like.
Some programs ship with attached spyware or adware and refuse to run when the undesired co-programs are removed; newer versions of Spybot replace the spyware binaries with inert dummies (designed to fool programs which require the spyware's presence).
In order to efficiently detect recently created programs, detection updates are released weekly along with other improvements such as added languages and better heuristics algorithms. These updates are downloaded from within the software from a variety of mirrors and are then automatically installed.
Spybot-S&D is available for all versions of Windows from Windows 95, and offers more than two dozen different languages and several skins to users. Instructions are available on the website to enable users to design their own skins.

Webstie: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/
Download link: http://fileforum.betanews.com/sendfile/1043809773/1/1217598105.8b6185da987b68de67d3fb22d499a536d6313d7f/spybotsd160.exe
Screenshot:

Latest version: 1.6.0
Rating: 10*/10*
My opinion: it's a great spyware removal tool and it's free no need to pay for it, i'd recommed for older pc's too
(If you think my reviews are useful you can report me as a moderator if you want, or at least a good reputation)

Storebror

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Nice review.  I've been using this for a long time and it does a good job!

Reactions
20 0 0
Yes, this is a great freeware app.  It works well, and I used it on my old PC.  I will see if it works on my current PC (Windows 2000).  However, if you know the answer to this, then can you tell me?

Thanks

Reactions
0 0 0
iDominateU link said:
Yes, this is a great freeware app.  It works well, and I used it on my old PC.  I will see if it works on my current PC (Windows 2000).  However, if you know the answer to this, then can you tell me?

Thanks
yes it's working :wink:

Reactions
0 0 0
Love this program, used on every computer I use, I trust it with my system anyday. Although I do like to have a few more programs to back it up.

Reactions
0 0 0
This is great! I had it back on my old 98, it worked nicely and just like most of the things I use, no problems! I recommend it as well!

~'Taterbuddie

Reactions
0 0 0
Luis9955 link said:
[quote author=Jordan link=topic=733.msg21076#msg21076 date=1221475267]
I use this. I think it is the best. Along with AVG.
AVG fails for me. Too much of a RAM hog.
[/quote]

I use AVG too and it doesn't take that much RAM!
I LOVE SP:S&D!!!!