sprites and 2d things

Reactions
21 0 0
i am looking for someone to design sprites for video games for like recognition. money is tight for me and i cant make sprites or 2d images on my own. i want to make a card game mega pack like different games involving playing cards on android but i want it look nice and not like complete crud any ideas?

Reactions
13 0 0
I'm currently working on a little game tile set as I haven't made one before and wanted to see if I could, here's a little mock up with a few I've made so far;
-
I've got a bit of a thing for fantasy so I've gone along that theme but if there's interest I'm open to the idea of taking suggestions and releasing them for free use to the community?

I would suggest having a play in MS Paint or other similar simple art program, pixel art is time consuming but with patience I personally find it very rewarding and therapeutic plus with practice anyone with access to a computer can do it! I'm happy to offer some advice and give you links to some good tutorials to get you started if you like. :relaxed:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
21 0 0
I'm currently working on a little game tile set as I haven't made one before and wanted to see if I could, here's a little mock up with a few I've made so far;
-
I've got a bit of a thing for fantasy so I've gone along that theme but if there's interest I'm open to the idea of taking suggestions and releasing them for free use to the community?

I would suggest having a play in MS Paint or other similar simple art program, pixel art is time consuming but with patience I personally find it very rewarding and therapeutic plus with practice anyone with access to a computer can do it! I'm happy to offer some advice and give you links to some good tutorials to get you started if you like. :relaxed:
that would sound wonderful, can you please link the tutorials? and it looks great

Reactions
42 0 0
-

Ok those are some cool looking sprites

Reactions
13 0 0
that would sound wonderful, can you please link the tutorials? and it looks great
My personal top tip is save often and that GIF or PNG files looks best. JPG files add artefacts to the image and take away those nice, crisp pixels that you want so avoid using them. The rage you feel if your computer crashes after you've spent the last few hours drawing something without saving is just unreal but it's so easy to do when you lose track of how long you've been working on something.

Secondly, keep it simple! Try not to use too many colours and particularly to start with keep it all as basic as possible. I personally like to set out a limited colour palette before I start and only use those select colours for the whole image. Trying to draw a whole image in just three colours/shades is a fun little challenge!

Always zoom out often, it's easy to spend the whole time focused on the small section you're zoomed in on and get it all looking lovely but then when you zoom out it doesn't quite look right and it's a pain to rework something. Make sure you keep track of how your work is looking actual size too.

Everyone has different methods. Tutorials and guides probably wont say the same thing but they're just to help you understand the basics as kicking off points, don't feel you have to follow them exactly, things like shading, outlines and so on are really personal preference. Use your own initiative and do what you like the look of best!

It ain't quick, so try not to rush it and don't beat yourself up if it takes a while! if you feel like you're getting annoyed with a particular bit move on to a different part and come back to it or take a break. It can take a while to do something very small (sometimes the smaller the harder! Less pixels to work with) which can get really frustrating but relax, it all comes together in the end and it's so satisfying to see what you've produced!

Lastly a general drawing tip, if you're drawing something it's always useful to have a reference. Even if you've seen the object you're drawing a thousand times a reference photo will always remind you of small details that slipped your mind.

These sites are all pretty good and explain things far better than I could:
This is a really great, in-depth guide that will tell you everything you wanted to know about pixel art and then probably some more! Pixeljoint.com is a fantastic site in general, it's run by a community of artists for all things pixel!
This little tutorial is great for the basics!
This site has some great, simple tutorials, I've found the one on isometric pixel art particularly helpful when I first started as iso has some odd rules.
This one has some lovely tutorials on making your linework and shading look nice.
This one shows you how to make a nice larger sprite.
This one is about tile making.
I hope these help, good luck on your pixel journey!

Ok those are some cool looking sprites
Thanks! I'm really happy with my dragon sprite in particular. I have quite a few more already drawn and plenty more to come before I'm done. :smile: