smokers to face sick images on ciggy packs

beak93

Professional
Messages
52
Reactions
0 0 0
#1
In October 2009 the new government laws will enforce tobacco manufactures in the U.K to display graphic images of cancer, operations and other such graphics. Government research suggest that 90,000 people will call the NHS stop smoking line to quit the killer habit, more at the BBC website.
 

jonny159

Professional
Messages
84
Reactions
0 0 0
#2
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

I'm all for the idea. I know some might disagree with me and say each to his own, but some people don't actually understand the realistic effects smoking has on them.

I knew someone who had to live out his last few years on a breathing machine all because he started smoking when he was young, and he admitted this and accepted the fact. That is why I never even want to touch a cigarette. 

However, I do know that people have the right to pretty much do what ever they want to their bodies, so that is why I think these images aren't really going to do anything. Smokers will just look past them.
 
J

JustPoo

Guest
#3
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

I'm a smoker, every packet of tobacco I buy has "Smoking Kills" writ large across the front.

I really can't believe that other smokers do not know the risks. They're already written on every single packet.

It's the single largest preventable cause of death. All UK smokers know that. The problem isn't awareness, it's that smoking is addictive.

I gave up, it was difficult. Something bad happened in my life, I started smoking again.

I don't know that I'm going to be any more motivated to quit smoking by seeing pictures of diseased lungs. Smoking isn't a rational habit.

I have to question why smoking is legal at all. The billions in revenue perhaps. If it's all about saving lives, if that's the sole motivating factor, ban tobacco, and while you're at it, ban alcohol too.

There can be no question that it would be more justified, for public health reasons, to ban alcohol and cigarettes than to keep cannabis and ecstacy illegal.
 

beak93

Professional
Messages
52
Reactions
0 0 0
#4
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

JustPoo link said:
I'm a smoker, every packet of tobacco I buy has "Smoking Kills" writ large across the front.

I really can't believe that other smokers do not know the risks. They're already written on every single packet.

It's the single largest preventable cause of death. All UK smokers know that. The problem isn't awareness, it's that smoking is addictive.

I gave up, it was difficult. Something bad happened in my life, I started smoking again.

I don't know that I'm going to be any more motivated to quit smoking by seeing pictures of diseased lungs. Smoking isn't a rational habit.

I have to question why smoking is legal at all. The billions in revenue perhaps. If it's all about saving lives, if that's the sole motivating factor, ban tobacco, and while you're at it, ban alcohol too.

There can be no question that it would be more justified, for public health reasons, to ban alcohol and cigarettes than to keep cannabis and Ecstasy illegal.
Government sciencentists say that if Tobacco and Alcohol was found today it would be a class A drug, And the government makes £8.7 billion a year on Tobacco and £13.4 billion on Alcohol (source HM treasury) but only spend all £2.6 billion on preventing disease's like cancer ect and treating ill patients (source cancer research & British liver foundation) it's robbery!!.
 
J

JustPoo

Guest
#5
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

beak93 link said:
Government sciencentists say that if Tobacco and Alcohol was found today it would be a class A drug, And the government makes £8.7 billion a year on Tobacco and £13.4 billion on Alcohol (source HM treasury) but only spend all £2.6 billion on preventing disease's like cancer ect and treating ill patients (source cancer research & British liver foundation) it's robbery!!.
That's very interesting. I knew they made more money out of smokers than they spent on them, but a 10 to 1 ratio?! So smokers and drinkers are propping up the NHS, which is making a 1000% profit out of preventable illnesses. Thinking cynically, if there's an annual revenue of close to £20 billion being made here, what possible reason could the government have for wanting to prevent people smoking?

If they make £20 billion out of just alcohol and tobacco taxation, imagine the revenue they could generate if they had an equal stance on other, less harmful substances. The benefits to society could be massive.
 
Messages
431
Reactions
0 0 0
#6
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

So are we going to have maimed bodies printed on the bonnet of cars then
 
Messages
254
Reactions
0 0 0
#7
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

i am not sure weather this is good or not. To be honest, if they had pictures of disgusting stuff on chocolate it wouldn't stop me eating it, and nicotine is more addictive. Also I don't think non-smokers should have to see disgusting pictures behind a counter when they are paying for shopping.
 

beak93

Professional
Messages
52
Reactions
0 0 0
#8
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

messd002 link said:
i am not sure weather this is good or not. To be honest, if they had pictures of disgusting stuff on chocolate it wouldn't stop me eating it, and nicotine is more addictive. Also I don't think non-smokers should have to see disgusting pictures behind a counter when they are paying for shopping.
It said on sky news that government research suggests it would see a 20% decrease in smokers they already use the graphic images in Australia and Canada and it seemed to work.
 
I

Infrasound

Guest
#9
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Smoking and alcohol laws in my country are very strict.
You see sick images and on every advertisement you see, it says "Warning, alcohol causes loss of consciousness" etc
 
Messages
803
Reactions
0 0 0
#10
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

jonny159 link said:
I'm all for the idea. I know some might disagree with me and say each to his own, but some people don't actually understand the realistic effects smoking has on them.

I knew someone who had to live out his last few years on a breathing machine all because he started smoking when he was young, and he admitted this and accepted the fact. That is why I never even want to touch a cigarette. 

However, I do know that people have the right to pretty much do what ever they want to their bodies, so that is why I think these images aren't really going to do anything. Smokers will just look past them.
I think it's going to be aimed at new smokers eg a new smoker comes along and sees the image and goes "Oh *s word*, I dont want THAT to happen!" -puts down cigerettes-
 
O

opensource_archive

Guest
#11
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Well i think they need to show kids between the ages of 11-15 the affects of smoking and should make them watch videos of surery done on cancer caused by smoking. They should also show real life Pictures of smokers organs to try and put kids off.
 
Messages
211
Reactions
0 0 0
#12
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Though I am a smoker and even though this isn't going to affect me because I live in the USA..
If they put images like that on the box , I'd still smoke. Let people do what they want , everybody knows the consequences. All its going to do is piss alot of people off haha.
 
Messages
803
Reactions
0 0 0
#13
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

SmokeHerb link said:
Though I am a smoker and even though this isn't going to affect me because I live in the USA..
If they put images like that on the box , I'd still smoke. Let people do what they want , everybody knows the consequences. All its going to do is piss alot of people off haha.
It MAY work, you don't KNOW it's not gonna work.
 
Messages
211
Reactions
0 0 0
#14
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Luis link said:
[quote author=SmokeHerb link=topic=2927.msg25301#msg25301 date=1223140188]
Though I am a smoker and even though this isn't going to affect me because I live in the USA..
If they put images like that on the box , I'd still smoke. Let people do what they want , everybody knows the consequences. All its going to do is piss alot of people off haha.
It MAY work, you don't KNOW it's not gonna work.
[/quote]

I never said it would or wouldn't work. I just said If they did that in the USA I would still smoke.
As far as the idea goes I think its completely stupid. You read my post wrong sir.
 

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Messages
4,965
Reactions
4 0 0
#15
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

It could work, it might not. We will not know until it is tried :smiley:
 

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Messages
4,965
Reactions
4 0 0
#17
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Jordan link said:
I think it is good that they do this. It is terrible when I see people smoke.
Yea, Both my mum and dad smoke, And I hate it!
 
0

0005113

Guest
#19
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Yeah it is good, hopefully it will make them stop :P
 

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Messages
4,965
Reactions
4 0 0
#20
Re: somkers to face sick images on ciggy packs

Jordan link said:
Yeah it is good, hopefully it will make them stop :P
I dont think a couple of horrible pictures will make people stop smoking, I mean they know that it could kill them, But they dont stop so some pictures wont do much good.
Plus there addicted to it, So some pictures wont help for that reason as well