Replacing Windows XP with Ubuntu.

Reactions
0 0 0
Hello everybody.. Thanks to my little brother hes letting me install Linux (Ubuntu) on his computer..
I have a small question.. How would I completely replace Windows XP OS with the Linux (Ubuntu) OS?
I'm getting my CD in the mail soon and I would like to know how to do this..

Thanks in advance.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Reactions
0 0 0
u should off D/L the .iso.... boot up from your dvd drive or cd drive... do not click on install click on try ubuntu soon as you login to ubuntu
there should be a icon on the desktop name intsall double click on it and follow the steps...

Reactions
0 0 0
Hey herb :-p

All you will really need to do is:

1. put in the CD.
2. Go into you bios.    How to get into bios--( When your computer is starting it will say hit the "  " key to go into bios. The  key I press  is delete.
3. when in bios go to advanced bio "features or options" 
4. when  in there go to boot sequency or boot priority, and set it to boot from the CD drive first. 
5. You can ether run ubuntu in live CD mode or install it right away.

Setting your  bios to boot from a CD and not your hard drive, is really easy.
The rest is even more easy.

Tips: You can install ubuntu while in live cd mode.
        Ones you install ubuntu onto a hard drive, The quality will get better.

Any more question feel free to message me on here or on youtube.

Well hope it helped. "peace"

Reactions
0 0 0
Earth link said:

1. put in the CD.
2. Go into you bios.    How to get into bios--( When your computer is starting it will say hit the "  " key to go into bios. The  key I press  is delete.
4. when  in there go to boot sequency or boot priority, and set it to boot from the CD drive first. 

Thanks alot man!!! Thats really gonna help me , I saved the text on a text document so I'll have those instructions prompt when I receive my Ubuntu cd in the mail :]

Reactions
0 0 0
put in the windows cd and delete the partition. then install ubuntu.

or

make an msdos boot disk and stick delpart on it then delete the partition

Houli

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Don't mind what henry said, during the Ubuntu installation you will be asked to do some partitioning. When it comes up with that screen just hit the use entire disk button and hit next if all you want is Ubuntu on that computer.

Reactions
0 0 0
SmokeHerb link said:
[quote author=Earth link=topic=474.msg4707#msg4707 date=1217404385]

1. put in the CD.

Thanks alot man!!! Thats really gonna help me , I saved the text on a text document so I'll have those instructions prompt when I receive my Ubuntu cd in the mail :]

[/quote]
you hepled alot thx