Recording games on XBOX/PS3

JDH

Guru
After watching various videos of gaming channels on YouTube, it occurred to me that I may want to try out something like that for myself.

I would like to know if anyone else knows an easy way to record your television whilst playing a game, i.e. Modern Warfare 2 (without using a camera on a tripod/table/chair etc)

The sooner the reply, the better.

Thanks in advance,
JDH

Paul

Trainee
As Yoko said, a Dazzle capture card is a method of doing it. I have a Dazzle. There are many other models available though. The Dazzle is around £40, and records SD footage. Generally, all SD cards record in the same quality.

There are HD cards though. These things really come into their own, believe me. Unfortunately, they come into their own in price as well. A good HD card is over £150. Some HD cards don't record in HD, they simply let you play in it, while recording in SD (cards like the Dazzle force you to play in SD while recording, so HDTV owners lose out). Here's a list of different cards you might be interested in:

SD

KWorld
EasyCap
EasyCap 2.0
Dazzle

HD

Hauppauge HD PVR
BlitzBox HD

There are other models, but those are the ones I can think of at the moment. Generally, the HD PVR is regarded as the best card, though it will hit your pocket. Really. The quality it gives is extremely good though, so it's entirely your choice whether you buy it or not.

There are different models of the Dazzle capture card, and this can be confusing. For example, there is the DVC80, 90, 100, and 180. They differ in colour, but not much else. They might come bundled with different recording software and stuff as well though.