Question about Windows Movie Maker in Vista

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
I am not sure if this is the right area to ask this, if it isn't please move this to the right area.

anyways, my question is

My digital camera takes video in .mov format and i have been using windows movie maker, it allows me to import that format fine. Been working on some video projects and I should have finished the project, before i reformatted my system, but thats in the past and this is now. (I learned my lesson)

after i reformatted and put vista back on, i tried importing and playing the video files in windows movie maker and the video will play ok, but i have no sound.
I drag it to the timeline and expand the video to show the audio and the audio doesn't show up.
I can play other sound files ok, it just wont play sound from .mov formats.

I tried playing the video in quicktime and it plays fine with sound too.
I tried another video editing software and it plays fine too. I am working on getting another video editing software, but for now, i will just use what i got, but i got nothing now.
If someone could help that would be great.

thanks

~Tech_Swaby

Reactions
33 2 0
Dude the answer to this lys in your camra go in the settings and chose record to .AVI or .WMV thats you best chance

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
I don't think i could do that. My camera i use is a Kodak Easyshare Digital Camera.

Sorry if i forgot to mention that before.

thanks for helping anyways

Reactions
22 1 0
I believe there's a new version of Windows Movie Maker, which you have to use the Windows Live installer to get it.
I am not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try. Failing this, you are probably missing a codec you previously had installed.

http://get.live.com is the URL.

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
I tried the Windows Live movie maker, which btw, is really ugly, it doesnt even have a timeline, how can you edit videos without a timeline?
anyways...i tried the video and it plays, but still no sound.

I am thinking that there was a codec that i had installed before, but i am not sure what that is.
Is there a way to find out what codecs you should have or does it depend on what the user has installed and customized system?

I really need to get a mac, thats the best for video editing. I used a mac for video editing when i went to photography school. i probably should got a mac for school with the loans, but i wasn't thinking about that. now i should have had school pay for my mac oh well....

looks like i might have force myself to try and get another video software.
I can not believe windows live does not have a timeline, you cant do much editing with it, compared to that the regular wmm is better, just like the office 2003 is better than 2007, but that is for another topic and not here.

Thanks for giving your advice.

hope i can figure this out or find way to get another video software.

Reactions
33 2 0
there maybe a codec error either within movie maker or inside your camra

GreedyLlama

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Hello Tech_Swaby. So you want to make movies, welcome to the pit of pain. I say that because:

1. Format is fun.
2. Aspect ratio is annoying.
3. The programs are complex.
4. Movies take a long time to make.

I can't give you an answer, all I can do is give you a few pointers. You say that you edited mov format in windows movie maker (WMM) on your Vista PC. I am amazed because microsoft say that it only takes amv (good but very big) and wmf (smaller but still good) format. My camcorder shoots in mov format and I can choose what aspect ratio to use.  I choose the modern 16:9 ratio and that means there is no hope of my video going on WMM with my XP machine. I understand that Vista can deal with 16:9 ratio because it uses a later version of WMM, so you could be OK.

You have re-installed Vista. That leads me to ask have you updated your Vista because they are already on SP2? I find that adding or removing programs scrambles the hard drive so do defrag with a fast program such as Defraggler.  In fact I find that video files are big and when you edit you need to defrag regularly to prevent the program freezing up.

I have more to say but seem to have run out of room so will get back later.

Reactions
33 2 0
GreedyLlama link said:
Hello Tech_Swaby. So you want to make movies, welcome to the pit of pain. I say that because:

1. Format is fun.
2. Aspect ratio is annoying.
3. The programs are complex.
4. Movies take a long time to make.

I can't give you an answer, all I can do is give you a few pointers. You say that you edited mov format in windows movie maker (WMM) on your Vista PC. I am amazed because microsoft say that it only takes amv (good but very big) and wmf (smaller but still good) format. My camcorder shoots in mov format and I can choose what aspect ratio to use.  I choose the modern 16:9 ratio and that means there is no hope of my video going on WMM with my XP machine. I understand that Vista can deal with 16:9 ratio because it uses a later version of WMM, so you could be OK.

You have re-installed Vista. That leads me to ask have you updated your Vista because they are already on SP2? I find that adding or removing programs scrambles the hard drive so do defrag with a fast program such as Defraggler.  In fact I find that video files are big and when you edit you need to defrag regularly to prevent the program freezing up.

I have more to say but seem to have run out of room so will get back later.
I have to agree with the list!

But on topic it is good to majke videos but how long are your videos may i ask

GreedyLlama

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I'm back.  Unfortunately, I have to say that I think all the previous stuff will fail you and will lead you to want to convert your videos or use another program.

There have been some post on this forum about video conversion programs.  My favourite is SUPER because it contains it's own Codexs and it can tell you what the format, aspect ratio and the frames per second are of your original video.  Before you rush off and get converting, I have to tell you that I never like the quality of the converted video, it seems to loose something.  However, if you have success, then do it.  When you use WMM, you will find that the sound control is poor.  You get sound on your video but will need to save and add background music and later your voice-over.  This gives me some problems because the sound from my camcorder is susceptible to the slightest breeze blowing across it.

Commercial video editing programs are better.  I have found that Ulead video studio can deal with mov and 16:9 movies.  This is not the most popular, that seems to be Sony Vegas. You can get these on 30 day approval if you are desperate finish your project.

Free video editing programs are just what I want but I have only found two that come near.  The best is AVS but it puts a minute of advert on the screen before you get to your movie.  This is a bit of a pain when you consider that all your shots for the movie have to be cut to give you decent clips to be joined together for the final movie.  Not insurmountable because you can chop the minute off with Wax.

Well that is me finished.  I have spit the bib full.  Thank goodness that you didn't ask about how to view the final movie.

Sorry, one last bit - keep your movies short, it makes it easier for the computer to deal with.  My biggest was 45 minutes and it sent me as mad as the computer.

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
Well, lots to read and go over...lol...but that is good thing. The list of video making was funny and is so true...thanks for adding that list.

I have tried wmm on xp and it seems to crash or freeze up every time i try to import any video. When i tried wmm on vista, it could allow me to import .mov format, which was a surprise to me too, but i went with it. Maybe it is just catching up with me...lol

The wmm on vista, seems to be more stable then xp wmm, but that might be me, and maybe i will try and update xp with all the latest updates and see what wmm does for xp.

I just have a Kodak Easyshare camera for pics and video, i don't have a regular video camera, but i am working on getting a video camera though. for now i just use what i can. Yes, i have updated vista with the latest updates. I will try and defrag. I don't really like using third party until tools, espeically the defragger, it just seems like it slows the system down so much. I don't know if that is just me or what.

I don't make real long videos, from the camera...about 5-10 min between each video take, then i cut that down in the editing part, so the final video would be less...it varys for the final video from 1 min to 6 min...I had one video was 1 hr 30 min, which was my church christmas program. that was taking on the digital camera and before i reformatted. I got that project all done, just need to making the dvd.

I don't really like to convert the original video,  as it does seem to use something. I am looking into another video software, which if i cant get wmm to work, i might have to be forced into buying another video software when i am not quite ready to get one yet. I will look into the SUPER program.
I do have the 30 day Ulead Video Studio.

I think the longest video i took was 12 min, mostly cause it is the digital camera and i don't know how long the battery will hold out either, so i try and make short takes and know i can always edit it together later.

Thanks for everyone that has took time to help me out. If anyone else has something to toss in, feel free to let me know.

maybe this is telling me it is time to move up with video software...lol...it was a joke, but thinking about that seriously.

it goes back to the list. I like wmm because it is not that complicated, yet it is easy enough to make videos. I looked at the windows live movie maker, and i definitely don't like that one at all, it doesn't even have a timeline, how can anyone edit video without a timeline, why Microsoft came out with that update for wmm is beyond me. I know i mentioned this above, so i won't go any further with this.

I guess the only thing for me to do is find a different video software, unless there are more people that would like to toss in their help too.

Thanks to all those that have helped me, you really have helped me.  I was just curious if there was anything i could do to get wmm working again.

thanks