Poor Broadband and Download Speeds

3T

Reactions
0 0 0
A PING of 307m/s is not acceptable for a broadband connection, it should be well below 100.

Who's your ISP? Have you tried contacting them about this? Tell them what speed you should be getting on your package, ask why you aren't, explain the problem and they should sort it out for you.

matt2458

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I have orange broadband aswell, about a month ago I was having the same problem, slow download speeds for about a week, after that it was switching between fast and slow, 2 weeks later it turned back to normal. - Hope that helped.

Reactions
22 1 0
3T link said:
A PING of 307m/s is not acceptable for a broadband connection, it should be well below 100.
It all depends on what server you perform the test with. For instance, some West Coast servers from the US can give me a PING of around 150, while German servers give me PINGs of 30.

iYoko link said:
Hell, a ping that's more than 0 isn't healthy.
Assuming that wasn't sarcasm / humour, then there's soooo many things wrong with that statement.

@DanAP300:
PINGs are effected by a few factors. Here's the most common:
1. The server you are accessing are experiencing higher than normal traffic
2. Your ISP is performing some form of maintenance on it's systems
3. Your phone line (assuming you are using ADSL) is damaged and/or the exchange has some issues
4. Your hardware is faulty (malfunctioning router, ADSL filter, etc)
5. Something on your system is "eating away" all your bandwidth (P2P programs, STEAM, Windows Updates, etc)
The list goes on...

If you are connecting to your router via a Wireless adapter, try using a ethernet cable to assure it's not just a bad wireless connection.
The best cause of action would be to contact your ISP and explain the situation. Ask them to perform the routine tests on your line and connection (they should "monitor" your connection for a day or so).

Good luck.

Reactions
0 0 0
TechTuts link said:
I have orange broadband aswell, about a month ago I was having the same problem, slow download speeds for about a week, after that it was switching between fast and slow, 2 weeks later it turned back to normal. - Hope that helped.
What I think has happened is that they have capped my bandwidth, becuase I have downloaded loads and loads of programs, music, videos, loads (as we do) and they've probably restricted me for a month or so. So thanks for your comment =).

@InsaneMatt
Thanks for your reply, i'll give it a few weeks to sort itself out if nothing happens then I shall get onto Orange =)

Thanks for all your help =)