New (Old) Computer

ToSSiN

Trainee
Im getting my parents old computer, its not great here are some spec's
Processor: Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHZ
RAM: 512 MB
HD: 120 GB
Its a pretty bad computer, but im wondering what you guys would do if you had this computer?  Keep in mind that I already have my own computer, so this would be my second.  It currently has Ubuntu installed on it, but i would also like to make another partition for windows XP and possibly another one to tryout different linux based OS's.  What do you guys think i should do with it??

Michael11794

Trainee
Personally..I would play around on it...ya know do whatever...then sell it since ya already have one...its great to have some extra money around...and its not that great of a computer

S3S6

Trainee
If you already have one, you could use that one for downloading (no piracy :cop:). You upgrade it a little and maybe use it for (light) gaming. Or give it to somebody you know that could really use a computer. ie Somebody less fortunate. Or if you really want to...sell it.

gymtonic

Expert
if I had an old computer like that, I would wipe it and maybe but ReactOS or Win98 on it or something and use it to test and mess around with

NathaN31

Professional
first you need more ram. and then try wat ever you  really what its not like your first computer.

Dombev

Guru
GD31UK link said:
first you need more ram. and then try wat ever you  really what its not like your first computer.
I have 512 MB RAM aswell, I am going to upgrade soon. I have not upgraded my RAM yet since buying my PC four years ago

Temperance

Professional
1GB RAM sticks aren't expensive at all (£20?), buy some more!

pranksterpal

Expert
I would upgrade the RAM and use it for Gaming.
Or, you it to test out new programs, such as, VTP, rehacker e.t.c.