Net neutrality ending, do other places need to worry?

thedigi321

Guru
Hey guys I'm wondering if you all have worried about the net neutrality ending, I think you all are from outside the United States correct? I have heard some people say that it's really only a US issue, but I sort of view it as an everyone issue, at least coming from a US citizen perspective. I mean sure the US will be affected by the new law but iirc most companies are based in the United States, so wouldn't that make it everyone's issue if the companies had to charge more?

Duncan

Administrator
We have a lot of broadband providers here in the UK competing with each other, so Net Neutrality kind of isn't an issue.

I think the US folks have a very limited pick.

Till Sommer, from the UK's Internet Service Providers Association, told Sky News: "The US is currently engaged in an important debate around net neutrality, one that is much more intense than over here in the UK."
Source: https://news.sky.com/story/net-neutrality-what-a-us-vote-means-for-the-uk-11170224

Basically we're not fussed, though I'd be fussed if it impacted the services I'm using by proxy!

InsaneMatt

Expert
I've followed this thing somewhat closely.
While it shouldn't affect me directly anytime soon, our government intends to follow American politics (especially if money can be made from it) so it's only a matter of time before this sort of thing is suggested here.

Saying that, it will affect me and everyone around the world to a degree.
"How?!" I hear you ask. Well, many popular services online are hosted either in the USA or are from American-based companies (Google, Netflix, what-have-you). So on paper at least, our connection to them could be throttled.

OP
thedigi321

thedigi321

Guru
I've followed this thing somewhat closely.
While it shouldn't affect me directly anytime soon, our government intends to follow American politics (especially if money can be made from it) so it's only a matter of time before this sort of thing is suggested here.

Saying that, it will affect me and everyone around the world to a degree.
"How?!" I hear you ask. Well, many popular services online are hosted either in the USA or are from American-based companies (Google, Netflix, what-have-you). So on paper at least, our connection to them could be throttled.
and another thing is if it is not throttled will other countries be forced to pay a fee? or will the companies move completely out of the USA? until everyone as followed the lead of the USA

GarretRLM

Trainee
I doubt there will be many serious issues caused from the ending of net neutrality. Some companies have already stated that they will not participate in advanced fees w/ bundles and what not. I think user backlash will be enough to stop any bullshit that they plan but either way it should be interesting to see what actually happens as we move forward.

VONJO

Guru
I feel like we won't experience a big change until maybe a few years down the road. Also all the power houses are trying to get it back