Need help with GTA SA

InsaneMatt

Expert
My PS2 is next to me, but not plugged in.
I played a bit of it for the first time in almost 7 years around Christmas. My cousin came over with her 10 year old daughter, so I showed her how rubbish consoles are nowdays with the awesomeness that is the PS2!

Oh and I may of gotten her into PC gaming too.
I'm sure her parents love me for that :-P

jake12001200

Expert
around Christmas. My cousin came over with her 10 year old daughter
Yeah, family get togethers are the best. Me and my cousin haven't changed what we've played at each one. It's always get out the PS2 and stick on either Star Wars Battlefront or Nightfire. I was playing mortal combat with him yesterday :smiley: It might not be the most technically advanced console, but it has some great games and an element of nostalgia with it every time I play

iDominateU

Expert
true but i prefer the layout of a ps2 controller is there a controller that can...like switch the dpad and analog stick by lifting the a piece up and switching them around?
I don't know of one that can do that, but if you get a ps3 controller and install the Motioninjoy driver as well as 'Better DS3', it can be made to emulate a 360 controller for the games that can work with 360 controllers. When you've installed Motioninjoy program, you'll need to go to the driver manager tab (can't remember exact name) with ps3 controller plugged in, and install the driver thats listed there, then once installed, close the program and open Better DS3. Your PS3 controller should show up on left. Click New > XInput and another window should show up. There should be an autofill: XBox 360 button. Click that, and it should choose what buttons do what automatically. Give the profile a name, and make sure to tick 'Automatically apply to controllers when connected'. and then click save profile at the bottom. Make sure to select the profile for the first time on the dropdown list and click apply. The PS3 controller should now automatically act like a 360 controller when plugged in (Better DS3 and Motioninjoy programs don't need to be open now).

Links:
Motioninjoy: http://motioninjoy.en.uptodown.com/
Better DS3: http://betterds3.ciebiera.net/

illage2

Expert
I'd honestly suggest you invest in a Xbox 360 controller (wired, preferably).
Most games these days come pre-configured to support the 360 controller, even showing the buttons on-screen (instead of "Joy 1" or "Joy 7").

It's been this way for a couple years now and has become the default controller developers implement support for.
Once more, the controller is between £17 and £25 so it's well worth the small investment.
If you have a PS4 controller you can use that.

InsaneMatt

Expert
If you have a PS4 controller you can use that.
...which wasn't the question.

As Gekz seemed to be hinting at; anything and everything can be configured now-days to emulate a supported controller, or send key strikes as from a keyboard. Heck, you can configure your smartphone to be used as your computer's keyboard (assuming you're patient enough).

Yes, the PS4 controller is somewhat more compatible with PC gaming than previous Sony controllers (which is what I can only assume you were getting at). I'd imagine that the Xbox One controller is widely compatible though, due to it's predecessor being the controller for so long.
Truth of the matter is that the PS4 controller is hilariously ill equipped for PC gaming at present due to it's lack of "out of the box" support for many games. Will games start supporting it like they do with the Xbox controller in the future? Possibly, but that doesn't mean past games will suddenly support it too!

What I'm basically saying is unless you already own a PS4 controller (and not a Xbox 360 one), it's not worth the time--and especially money--due to having to configure it via emulation software for it to work in most games.
I'd go as far as to say that the Xbox 360 controller is well worth it's small investment even if you do not mind tinkering with the PS4 controller, it's so much more convenient.
Let's put it this way; the Xbox 360 controller is around £17, while the PS4 controller is around £40. The former is supported BY DEFAULT by thousands of games, while the latter isn't and would require configuring. Which one would you truthfully want? Price alone would make the Xbox controller a winner in my eyes.