MAJOR Anti - virus Help Needed

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
So, I think I have a virus on my computer now, And My anti - virus ran out ( It had a amount of time ( Free Trial ) ) And So I needed to be suggesed, A good FREE Anti Virus, Anything suggested will not be frowned apon, And will be greatly thanked apon :relaxed:

Thanks

A

apple_head

Hey Reece :relaxed:

I'm going to link you to PC Help Forum Prework (Not Advertising) basically they get you to run HiJackThis and get you to send your logs in a thread to them and they tell you your security issues aka Virus's and give you instructions on how to remove them, They have a very skilled security team who will be able to help you :relaxed:

PCHF Prework

Or

Try downloading AVG Free Edition and CCleaner

Run these and see if you get a result :relaxed:

Good Luck *Thumbs up*

AH

Beta Tutorial

Expert
Well I use Eset smart security because Eset.com gave me a account that run's until 2113 so I am pretty safe :wink:\
But for free ones I would recommend Avast(the free version of course)+MalwareBytes

InsaneMatt

Expert
Most popular FREE anti-virus programs are the following:
--AVG FREE 8 Clicky
--Avast! Home Edition Clicky
--AntiVir Clicky

Of course, using programs such as Lavasoft's Adaware, CCleaner and a-squared will also help.
HijackThis is just a application to list ALL running processes and services in quite high detail, so it doesn't do anything in itself.

Edit: As usual, typo fix - fixed Avast! link  :-[

JDH

Guru
I think that you should go with AVG Anti Virus FREE edition.
http://filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

Also, I suggest you use CCleaner as well.
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I think that these two, combined, are the best.

CCleaner can clean out your registry/internet files completely with a click of a button.

Whilst you can run an AVG full computer/folder/single file scan.

You can also select the speed of which you wish your scan to run at.

So if you want it to make sure it checks every file thoroughly, the click slow, however if you want a quick scan, click fast.

Also, AVG is extremely easy to use and there is no way you could get confused with what you are doing.

PS. I also highly recommend you use Spybot - Search and Destroy.
http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

It works like a charm on Spyware and other malware.

gymtonic

Expert
I've used AntiVir for about a year now, but I plan to switch to AVG or something. AntiVir seems to not like to update or keep on giving me false positives >.>

OP
Reecebullet

Reecebullet

GrandMaster
GrandMaster Poster
Thanks for all your help guys.

Right I put on the free AVG, Which took way over a hour to search around my computer ( I have alot of files )
CCleaner, I have already, Works wicked, Thanks
I will be carrying on to try all those though :relaxed:

GreedyLlama

Professional
I have found that problems do not come singly but in bunches.  Your anti-virus program may not remove them all.  Do try anti-spyware programs such as Ad-Aware, a-squared, Spybot search & destroy or Spyware Doctor.  This will take ages but if you clean and defrag (defraggler is quick), it should keep the process moving along.  Remember that anti-spyware progs are not as efficient as anti-virus programs, so you should use at least 3.  This way you will get rid of viruses and spyware.  Best of luck.

InsaneMatt

Expert
GreedyLlama link said:
Remember that anti-spyware progs are not as efficient as anti-virus programs, so you should use at least 3.  This way you will get rid of viruses and spyware.
Admittedly, Anti-Spyware programs aren't as efficient as Anti-Virus but I think 3 of them is just being plain paranoid; a-squared and Ad-Aware will do (or just a-squared).
But remember, the most efficient way to keep your system clean of viruses and other nasties is by simply using your common-sense! Having the best Anti-Virus program in the world is pointless if you don't use common sense (such as turning the f'ing thing on - pardon my "french" - which I have actually came across multiple times before).

olson.anth

Trainee
Avira antivir antivirus
ccleaner
spybot-S&D
windows defender

this is the setup I use and I have yet to have any problems at all. It's a pretty sweet combo IMO.

Calibra

Professional
my Setup (If it helps):

Comodo Internet Security 3.9 (Free)
MalwareBytes

I was using AVG 8.5 free until it failed on me...

GreedyLlama

Professional
To Calibra.  Looks like you have a firewall and an anti-spyware.  You should use an anti-virus even though they are not common.  You tried AVG and it failed on you so why not try avast!, yes it does have a ! at the end.

Calibra

Professional
GreedyLlama link said:
To Calibra.  Looks like you have a firewall and an anti-spyware.  You should use an anti-virus even though they are not common.  You tried AVG and it failed on you so why not try avast!, yes it does have a ! at the end.
Comodo include an anti-virus and Defense + (which is awsome)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-Nw2ySRVQs&hl=pt-br&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P-Nw2ySRVQs&hl=pt-br&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Sorry for double video, me and my pc werent quite happy with eachother)

The review of Comodo just to demonstrate defense + and the anti virus