looking for an ssd for gaming but i am a little clueless on what to buy size wise

thedigi321

Guru
hello every one i am looking for an ssd to increase the speed of loading times on my computer but i am clueless on what size to get and what is a good middle ground for price and performance. i see on my computer right now 1tb ssd for $343.01 by samsung on new egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147374. Now i understand that misc files for my applications like mods i have downloaded for minecraft, apps that don't require much on speed will stay on my Hard drive but is 1tb ssd good for games like fallout 4, and G.T.A V or is that too much and will i have to put the full game on there(with fallout 4 i think it is 30-40 GB) or is it some of the data that gets used? thank you for the help and suggestions

InsaneMatt

Expert
Honestly, you shouldn't need such a large capacity drive for an SSD.

I personally have a Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB with two mechanical drives for storage.
My SSD has all my software installed upon it, including my Operating System. At present, I have 146 158 GB free (of 232 GB usable storage). That's enough to safely have a couple games on it and still have some space left for random file generation by the OS.
My mechanical drives are used for two separate things. One for storage (downloads, system backups, random files) and the other for games. While I probably don't have the space for every game I own on Steam to be installed at the same time, I have 50-60 of them (plus a few on uPlay and Origin).

Whenever I start getting involved in a game that I feel could benefit from my SSD, I simply move the files to my SSD and create a Symbolic Link in their place.
Once I tire of the game(s), the files are moved back to their original location. I can do this with several games at a time without worrying about storage issues on the SSD. Realistically, you're not going to be actively playing more than 4 games at a time (heck, even 2 is usually pushing it). Most of the time, I just run the games from the mechanical drive anyway (not many games benefit from an SSD).

Doing things like this will save you quite a lot of money.
My SSD cost me £80 ($115-ish) back in March 2015, which I'm sure is even cheaper now too.

---
Edit: That's 158 GB free on the SSD (had 19 GB of random files in the Recycle Bin... Need to clear it more frequently it seems!)

Last edited by a moderator:

illage4

Trainee
SSD's are good for installing and running an OS. Your not going to use one for gaming as at the moment they are too expensive and they don't offer a good enough capacity for games. Only real advantage you'd get for running games on an SSD is faster loading times.

Sonark

Administrator
SSD's are good for installing and running an OS. Your not going to use one for gaming as at the moment they are too expensive and they don't offer a good enough capacity for games. Only real advantage you'd get for running games on an SSD is faster loading times.
A lot of people will put their most played games on their SSD so they get faster loading, I personally have my OS, CSGO, WoW and any other games that I'm playing a lot recently. The faster loading is really noticeable.

Duncan

Administrator
Yep, I've got my most played games on my 120GB SSD, others stay on the 1TB HDD.

It's not necessary to have a 1TB SSD unless you absolutely need every application to be quick loading.

Hell, you could get 2 120GB SSD's and RAID 0 them to give you 240GB of pure speed for like $120, but you add a single point of failure to the setup (1 drive dies, everything dies).

There's a lot better things you can spend over $300 on than a hard drive.