Is Linux worth the effort?

P

Phil

Having recently dual booted my laptop with Ubuntu Hardy Heron after feeling very rebellious (due to reading too much about Che Guevara from wikipedia's random article feature), I was disappointed to see that much work was needed to get everything in shipshape. After spending hours on wireless networking, configuring ALSA to fix my audio problems, and then fixing ridiculous font sizes on the login screen, I thought to myself, "Is this worth my time?". I have a working installation of Windows XP that was finely tuned and performed like an Olympic athlete, now slow and bloated by the arrival of it's scruffy and disobedient flatmate (the kind that breaks your stuff then never gets round to replacing it).

So long monologues aside, is Linux worth the effort?

Reactions
0 0 0
Don't know anything about ubuntu. But Suse Linux can be installed in a little hour.
(I never have installed a OS 100% by me self, me father is always helping, so I don't have the problem that I have to search how to do this or that)
In my village there are people who installing OS for money, maybe you have to go to someone like that?

foamy1993

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
It is very easy to do if you use a program Wubi. With it you don't have to make disks or anything so it is worth it if you use this because it is easy to install and if you don't like it, it is also easy to take off. Duncan did a video on how to do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O10Z9GitRPw

Reactions
0 0 0
I say it is, and I know from experience. Believe me, after the first couple of hurdles its (mostly) smooth sailing. And you will be glad you switched.(or at least tried)

Side Note: PEOPLE WUBI IS NOT A LONG TERM SOLUTION, It's good for TRYING Ubuntu BUT it does not give you the full experience you get from actually installing it. Easy =/= good. /rant

Houli

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
If you were unhappy with hardware support in Ubuntu you should try using OpenSUSE 11. It's known for its hardware compatibility.

Reactions
0 0 0
I don't think it was worth the effort
My video drivers were crappy
the sound was choppy
the keyboard was cutting out
the USB wireless adapter wasn't been nice to me

If all this was such a non-headachy experience, I would switch to Ubuntu in a flash!