Is A 4K Television Worth The Extra Price?

Duncan

Administrator
Reactions
168 1 0
Went to a well known technology shop, the world of PC.

Saw they had some 4K televisions, one in the doorway as you went in for £6000, and another smaller one for £1600.

My question is, is it worth buying a 4K TV now while there isn't a massive amount of content for it, or waiting until the technology is more widespread?

Jamie

Professional
Reactions
2 0 0
4K tv's do produce a stunning image with a large resolution image/video. But upscaling lower resolution is never as good. Just wait until their is more 4K content, by then 4K tv's will be much cheaper.

Reactions
42 0 0
I still haven't made the transition to blue ray. The quality I have at the moment is enough for me. I really don't think it's worth it, especially for the price. That's what put me off of blue ray. The long term extra cost for everything you buy for it. It just doesn't seem worth it for me.

Jamie

Professional
Reactions
2 0 0
I like their opening line on that website:

Future-proof your home with an Ultra HD TV

How long after 4K TV's will they start to become replaced by much higher resolution TV's? Even the new iMac's offer a 5K option. I suspect the future of TV's may start to become a mass confusion of different numbers.

Reactions
18 0 0
I like their opening line on that website:

Future-proof your home with an Ultra HD TV

How long after 4K TV's will they start to become replaced by much higher resolution TV's? Even the new iMac's offer a 5K option. I suspect the future of TV's may start to become a mass confusion of different numbers.
It's certainly future proofing to a point. I think consumers may not be able to keep up with industry. HD is a transition period for the coming VR and holographic technologies which, will eventually turn life into a screen.

Reactions
2 0 0
Condsidering when you watch a TV you're not up that close to the tv. Usually sitting a far way back from it, depending on the size of the tv you probably couldn't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. I'd say only get 4k if you plan on purchasing quiet a large tv. Even then as others say there is no content for 4k TVs so it's hard to justify the cost just to buy a TV (that costs quiet a bit more compared to full HD tvs) you can't actually take full advantage of.

Reactions
18 0 0
Condsidering when you watch a TV you're not up that close to the tv. Usually sitting a far way back from it, depending on the size of the tv you probably couldn't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k. I'd say only get 4k if you plan on purchasing quiet a large tv. Even then as others say there is no content for 4k TVs so it's hard to justify the cost just to buy a TV (that costs quiet a bit more compared to full HD tvs) you can't actually take full advantage of.
I would say there's a significant difference between 1080p and 4K from what I've seen in shops. It does feel like an 'in-between' though.

Reactions
5 0 0
If your thinking of getting a PS4 Pro then you'll need a 4KHDR TV which are more expensive than standard 4k TV's.

Jordan

Professional
Reactions
6 0 0
I mostly watch live sport on TV, and Sky's selection of UHD content has been atrocious so far, not to mention how much it costs. So for me, no.

Duncan

Administrator
Reactions
168 1 0
Responding to my own question now I have a 4K TV.

No, I can barely discern the difference between 1080p and 4k, though I have only a 43" TV and not a super high end model.

With amazon video streaming in UHD it's more of a nicety than a necessity, might look nicer on a bigger TV though.

Reactions
32 2 0
I can notice the difference between say a 1080p Bluray and 4K Bluray.

Streamed Video. No difference at all imo.

Reactions
0 0 0
Honestly not really worth it takes away the movie/cinematic view that give movies and TV show their goodness u can clearly c the difference with cgi and real ppl

Jordan

Professional
Reactions
6 0 0
Apparently Virgin Media are going to be offering 4K channels at no additional cost with the new Virgin V6 TV box. Might consider it if that is indeed the case.

Reactions
32 2 0
Apparently Virgin Media are going to be offering 4K channels at no additional cost with the new Virgin V6 TV box. Might consider it if that is indeed the case.
Correct, just got one and I've got BT Sport in 4K works extremely well. Also allows BBC iPlayer in 4K.