I think my com is deadish

davedudeit

Expert
yea iv been having problems with my pc for the past few days so i formated and installed XP. but i needed to upadted my bios driver but the previous owner put a password on it .
(if u dnt know what im tlking about dnt replay i dnt want any bogus tips)
so i set about removing the pasword by taking out the battry and keeping it pluge in but tring it off at the switch i then tryed to swith it on about 40 tims over the space of 5 mins. i then connect evthing bk and plug it all bk togther and i swthc it on all the lighs flash it makes the usual noises but nothing comes up on the screen. ( iv tryed diffrent screen n wires)
what should i do next please please help

Bkil

Professional
Either, you wiped the BIOS by accident(doubtful), or you shorted out your motherboard(really really bad). I could be wrong though :-p

InsaneMatt

Expert
I'm not sure what you mean BUT taking the CMOS battery out simple resets the BIOS to factory settings.
The idea is to remove the mains adapter and the battery, which makes the BIOS "forget" everything (it needs power to save your configuration). Most motherboards have jumper settings to reset the BIOS nowdays.

I hope you didn't do this while it was still plugged into the main for safety reasons (not to mention frying your motherboard.)

OP
D

davedudeit

Expert
InsaneMatt link said:
I'm not sure what you mean BUT taking the CMOS battery out simple resets the BIOS to factory settings.
The idea is to remove the mains adapter and the battery, which makes the BIOS "forget" everything (it needs power to save your configuration). Most motherboards have jumper settings to reset the BIOS nowdays.

I hope you didn't do this while it was still plugged into the main for safety reasons (not to mention frying your motherboard.)
yea i had it pluged in but switched off at the mains u need it pluged in to complete the circuit. it seems i have done the mothebord in but no sweat it cost me £15 anyway but i would really want it back

OP
D

davedudeit

Expert
Bkil link said:
Either, you wiped the BIOS by accident(doubtful), or you shorted out your motherboard(really really bad). I could be wrong though :-p
is there no other things that can happen

InsaneMatt

Expert
davedudeit link said:
yea i had it pluged in but switched off at the mains u need it pluged in to complete the circuit. it seems i have done the mothebord in but no sweat it cost me £15 anyway but i would really want it back
I'm not sure where you got this "complete the circuit" theory from, but I can tell you (from expierence) that it's incorrect.
You do NOT need ANYTHING attached to the motherboard, nevermind the PSU, to reset the BIOS.

Anyway, can you explain exactly what happens what you turn the machine on?
Re-seat the graphics card too!

OP
D

davedudeit

Expert
InsaneMatt link said:
[quote author=davedudeit link=topic=6683.msg61372#msg61372 date=1256601479]
I'm not sure where you got this "complete the circuit" theory from, but I can tell you (from expierence) that it's incorrect.
You do NOT need ANYTHING attached to the motherboard, nevermind the PSU, to reset the BIOS.

Anyway, can you explain exactly what happens what you turn the machine on?
Re-seat the graphics card too!
[/quote]

sure well i hit the power button and it light up it makes the usual noise (Checks for bootable disk etc)
but nothing comes up on screen nor is there any sound
(windows logon sounds etc)

OwlOwl

Expert
Have you tried a different video card? It might be giving some windows shutdown error which is blocking it from starting up again. But yeah, you might have shorted the motherboard.