HTML problems--Please help!

samkinkel

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
I've only learned the basics of HTML, enough to know how to embed, change text size/color, etc. but not so much formatting. I need to know how do you make it so that you can see the background picture on the side of a page, and the text, imgs, etc. is in the middle.

If you don't get what I mean, look at mob3. You can see the background on the sides of a page, and the stuff that you look at, like text and images, is in the middle. It's not the < center > tag, because there wouldn't be the white behind the text, and it's not the < table > tag because there's no borders.

Please help!

Bkil

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Pretty sure that is done with CSS, I also want to know how to do this. :relaxed:

Reactions
22 1 0
Most sites use CSS, but you can do it via the <table> tag (along with the <styles> tag)...

Using an image:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
	background-image: url(IMAGE_URL_HERE);
}

</style>

<center><table width="1024px" border="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
	<tr>
    	<td></td>
    </tr>
</table></center>
Using a solid colour:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
	background-color: #999999;
}

</style>

<tr>
    	<td></td>
    </tr>
</table></center>

Reactions
33 2 0

Bkil

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
The pages are displayed to you using HTML, but they are made dynamically with PHP, and the database.

samkinkel

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
InsaneMatt link said:
Most sites use CSS, but you can do it via the <table> tag (along with the <styles> tag)...

Using an image:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
	background-image: url(IMAGE_URL_HERE);
}

</style>

<tr>
    	<td></td>
    </tr>
</table></center>
Using a solid colour:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
	background-color: #999999;
}

</style>

<tr>
    	<td></td>
    </tr>
</table></center>
I realized right after posting this message on 3 different sites that I needed CSS and not HTML. FAIL. lol

but you helped a TON, thank you so much!! ^^

samkinkel

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
And to Adam and Bkil- I figured it was something else like PHP, but I wanted CSS/HTML for what I was doing.

Thanks again for all your help everyone!!! :relaxed:
~Sam

Reactions
0 0 0
samkinkel link said:
I've only learned the basics of HTML, enough to know how to embed, change text size/color, etc. but not so much formatting. I need to know how do you make it so that you can see the background picture on the side of a page, and the text, imgs, etc. is in the middle.

If you don't get what I mean, look at mob3. You can see the background on the sides of a page, and the stuff that you look at, like text and images, is in the middle. It's not the < center > tag, because there wouldn't be the white behind the text, and it's not the < table > tag because there's no borders.

Please help!
Hey mate!

To make something like mob3 you need to know HTML, CSS and PHP or Java or JavaScript. But as 1st start i recommend to start studying all of them on w3schools or on any other website that will give u the basic. After that search google for phpbb(this is a forum in php looks like mob3) create a server on your local machine and then start to study the pages :wink:

Anyway this is my opinion.

Cheers

Reactions
22 1 0
What people don't appear to understand is that HTML coding is used within a PHP script via the "echo" function.
You NEED HTML in order for a web browser to display a page to the user. The PHP scripts are what pharse through the database.

So simply, CSS combined with HTML is required to "theme" a page - PHP has nothing to do with it.