GeForce 7600GS Windows 7 Problems

Reactions
0 0 0
Hello people of earth,
I've just moved to the new Windows 7 (yay!) and everything was working from the start (even my wireless!) but when I checked dxdiag about my graphics card (I like to see if it has the right driver) it says my card has 512mb of ram, when it only has 256mb. I thought this was cool at first, but then I got scared it might have overclocked it (AGHH!) so I was just wondering if this is anything to worry about, and if, hoping for the fix,
Thanks!
Jack

JVidia

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Try downloading the drivers off the Nvidia website. Microsoft drivers are usually buggy and don't work correctly. Let me know if it works.

Reactions
0 0 0
Right, I have installed the right drivers. Aero and stuff still works, and things are definitely running MUCH smoother, but it still thinks I have 512MB on the Graphics Card! I really do just want to know if it is safe for it to think that!

Thanks,
Jack

Reactions
2 0 0
I think it's safe. It couldn't overclock just with an instalation of Windows. Just try a game and see if it works better, or the same :P

Reactions
0 0 0
Well, it seems to run the same. I did a test with FRAPS and everything was exactly the same as it was in XP. If it is safe just to leave it like this, this topic is solved!

JVidia

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
topsyandpip56 link said:
Right, I have installed the right drivers. Aero and stuff still works, and things are definitely running MUCH smoother, but it still thinks I have 512MB on the Graphics Card! I really do just want to know if it is safe for it to think that!

Thanks,
Jack
Good to hear that it works. Like Nunokaka85 said, try running a game.

Reactions
0 0 0
I know what the problem is and I have it as well. If you click on your graphics card info somewhere, it will probably show that you have some dedicated memory and there is some shared memory which isn't actually there (or is it?). I have a 128MB graphics card and it's showing up as 512MB.

Is that what you've been experiencing?

Reactions
13 0 0
ok, heres some education  ;D
what your refering to is TurboCache your gpu will only have so much dedicated vram, the extra TOTAL Shared vram, is utlisied from your system ram
How Does it Work?
The revolutionary TurboCache technology utilizes the additional bandwidth of the PCI Express graphics bus to reach higher levels of graphics performance than traditional video memory solutions, delivering the performance and features you expect from NVIDIA graphics hardware. By allowing the graphics processing unit (GPU) to share the capacity and bandwidth of dedicated video memory and dynamically available system memory, TurboCache turbocharges performance and provides larger total graphics memory.
Source - http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/turbocache.html

turbo cache has been around since the 6 series.

right now i have a 8800GTS and 512mb vram, my system has 4gb, and in dxdiag, says i have a total shared vram of around 2gb, this doesnt actualy use up a total of 2gb ram from my system, just that if its needed it will utilise whats needed from the system ram, and then drop it when not needed, so u have nothing to worry about, also im guessing u have around 1gb-1.5gb ram?

ohh and im an overclocking nut, u cannot overclock the total amount of vram u have :P u can overclock the speed of the ram and the gpu core and shaders, but i wont go into detail on about that. ur system is safe dont worry, if u dont manualy overclock urself, ur system will never overclock :P (p.s. i wouldnt advise any person to just jump into overclocking without a lot of extensive knowledge and know the harms that can be impacted on the system)

ohh and dont be fooled thinking that this turbo cache will benefit you in any way or form, it doesnt, dedicated vram is what is beneficial, so if u see a system that says it has 2.5gb gpu ram, dont be fooled, off topic: also theres no such thing as a 12ghz cpu not even overclocking a cpu will ever reach that, and a quad core with e.g. 3ghz does not have the sum of 3x4=12ghz, its still only a 3ghz cpu... just some advice for anyone less knowledged