For those who've dual booted Ubuntu....

P

Phil

How has everyone gone about dual booting Ubuntu?

Personally I visited the ubuntu site and found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

This method didn't require any separate partitioning software like others do as it gave options to partition in the setup.

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
I simply shrunk the Volume in Disk management in Windows Vista and chose the "Use largest continuous free space" option inside ubuntu. It took care of the rest  :relaxed:

NathaN31

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
i used wubi what do you think is better wubi or your way

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
GD31UK link said:
i used wubi what do you think is better wubi or your way
Apparently a wubi install has slightly decreased performance, no hibernate support and some people have had some serious issues with it.

NathaN31

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
for the moment for me its all good but when you say peformence you mean ubuntu or windows

P

Phil

Ubuntu I think. I would still recommend it to people who do not wish to do anything like partitioning though. The live CD is also worth taking a look at if people just want to have a look around the OS without installing anything.

Reactions
0 0 0
it says on wikipedia that if you use Wubi, it can decrease performance, but it can be counter-acted by defragging the drive on windows

Reactions
0 0 0
Yeah , I'm gonna dual boot Ubuntu with XP once I get my disc in the mail.
I don't wanna download it because of my OCD and I want the disc so I can install it on any computer I wish without going to the site. ( I know pathetic huh? Hahaha )
:P

Reactions
0 0 0
when my dad upgrades the internet (silly download cap)
I'm getting Wubi and installing it
i don't really care whether it decreases performance, i'm just too lazy to do all the partitioning

Temperance

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
Dosen't the Ubuntu LiveCD have a partitioner inside it? IIRC does all the work for you.

Reactions
0 0 0
I got 5 harddrives so i took my data drive and put the data in a data folder on a diffrent hard drive and installed it there, i didnt find many problems installing and removing it was easy... on XP though it was a nightmare to remove the GRUB loader.