For those who've dual booted Ubuntu....

P

Phil

How has everyone gone about dual booting Ubuntu?

Personally I visited the ubuntu site and found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

This method didn't require any separate partitioning software like others do as it gave options to partition in the setup.

Duncan

Administrator
I simply shrunk the Volume in Disk management in Windows Vista and chose the "Use largest continuous free space" option inside ubuntu. It took care of the rest  :relaxed:

NathaN31

Professional
i used wubi what do you think is better wubi or your way

Duncan

Administrator
GD31UK link said:
i used wubi what do you think is better wubi or your way
Apparently a wubi install has slightly decreased performance, no hibernate support and some people have had some serious issues with it.

NathaN31

Professional
for the moment for me its all good but when you say peformence you mean ubuntu or windows

OP
P

Phil

Ubuntu I think. I would still recommend it to people who do not wish to do anything like partitioning though. The live CD is also worth taking a look at if people just want to have a look around the OS without installing anything.

gymtonic

Expert
it says on wikipedia that if you use Wubi, it can decrease performance, but it can be counter-acted by defragging the drive on windows

SmokeHerb

Guru
Yeah , I'm gonna dual boot Ubuntu with XP once I get my disc in the mail.
I don't wanna download it because of my OCD and I want the disc so I can install it on any computer I wish without going to the site. ( I know pathetic huh? Hahaha )
:P

gymtonic

Expert
when my dad upgrades the internet (silly download cap)
I'm getting Wubi and installing it
i don't really care whether it decreases performance, i'm just too lazy to do all the partitioning

Temperance

Professional
Dosen't the Ubuntu LiveCD have a partitioner inside it? IIRC does all the work for you.

Hord

Guru
I got 5 harddrives so i took my data drive and put the data in a data folder on a diffrent hard drive and installed it there, i didnt find many problems installing and removing it was easy... on XP though it was a nightmare to remove the GRUB loader.