Do You Think It Is Bad To Have More Then 1 Anti-Virus Running?

Do You Think It Is Bad To Have More Then 1 Anti-Virus Running?

• Of Course

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • OF COURSE NOT!

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Lockdown345

Master
i use Windows Defender and Macafee they are good :wink:

InsaneMatt

Expert
Yes... You need to understand how antivirus programs work, in order to understand why it's a BAD idea.

Without going into technical detail, I will try and explain.

1. Compatibility Issues - Some Anti-Virus programs can "fight" eachother. Some even have routines to detect any other anti-virus program that may have been installed, just to be safe. An example of this is Avast! and ZoneAlarm. Avast! gives you a warning if it detects ZoneAlarm (I think it disables one of it's shields as well).
2. Performance issues - Assuming both anti-virus programs have "Resident Shields", then you are effectivly scanning a file TWICE at the same time (which CAN cause computers to crash).

If you are that paranoid about viruses and such, then I would recommend installing ONE Anti-Virus program and use A-squared as a backup.

Beta Tutorial

Expert
InsaneMatt link said:
Yes... You need to understand how antivirus programs work, in order to understand why it's a BAD idea.

1. Compatibility Issues - Some Anti-Virus programs can "fight" eachother. Some even have routines to detect any other anti-virus program that may have been installed, just to be safe. An example of this is Avast! and ZoneAlarm. Avast! gives you a warning if it detects ZoneAlarm (I think it disables one of it's shields as well).
2. Performance issues - Assuming both anti-virus programs have "Resident Shields", then you are effectivly scanning a file TWICE at the same time (which CAN cause computers to crash).

If you are that paranoid about viruses and such, then I would recommend installing ONE Anti-Virus program and use A-squared as a backup.
My friend had Avast once and I came to his house to install Eset Smart Security(nod32).And before the installation eset even told me to delete avast.So you can see that it is a bad idea to have 2 or more Anti-viruses

Lockdown345

Master
Maki Life link said:
[quote author=InsaneMatt link=topic=5734.msg54420#msg54420 date=1239656282]

My friend had Avast once and I came to his house to install Eset Smart Security(nod32).And before the installation eset even told me to delete avast.So you can see that it is a bad idea to have 2 or more Anti-viruses
[/quote]

It maybe because they dont want to mix with another anti-virus software

OP
C

Crazycat542

Expert
yeah i just talked to a friend about it and we came up of the idea of twice of a scan = BAD IDEA

so i change my answer to OF COURSE!!!! or something

you wont have as much protection as you will run into compatibility issues and the programs wont run like they should!
so u increase your change of geting a vius on your PC so if i was u i would only run 1 anti-virus!

Nunokaka85

Expert
I Sugest to Use One Antivirus only, like i Use :smiley:

My Current Protection is:
Avira Antivir Personal Classic
SuperAntiSpyware

compgenius999

Trainee
Short Answer: Yes,

Long Answer:
I had Kaspersky Internet Security and Avast Pro running at the same time, both of them would go off at the same time whenever i had a virus, BTW windows defender sucks,

Why i hate windows defender(LOL why am i making such a big post):
GIANT-AntiSpyware which was killed by microsoft and replaced by windows defender, protects you more than windows defender, it detected a batch file which would have broke my mouse and deleted windows, but windows defender didn't even after manually scanning it, WHY DOES MICROSOFT WANT TO MAKE SECURITY EVEN WORSE!?
McAfee sucks too, ate my resources, lagged the pc, and didnt detect many viruses at all

Now i just use Avast, Spybot S&D and COMODO firewall

Parrot

Guru
I never using 2 AV at once. But I think it's not a problem to have more then 1 AV