Do you get IP Banned or Acct Banned on Steam

Crazycat542

Expert
Dang i ask so many questions. (Ima noob)

On to the question
I was wondering on steam such as playing CS:S you get VAC banned, do you get IP banned or your acct just get banned. Or all of the accts u havev get banned.

Sry im a noob :p just curious on recent FPS games i get banned....:pensive: and i wasnt hacking so i thought i would play on one and leave one as a backup.

InsaneMatt

Expert
VAC bans your STEAM ID on a "per engine" basis. Meaning if you get banned on TF2, ALL games using the SOURCE engine will also be banned - You can still play on non-secured VAC servers though.

If VAC has banned you, I would FORMAT - it's detected something that's editing the memory. That's either a virus/trojan or a hack/trainer you had open at the time of launching a game.... Remember, VAC does a delay ban of up to 2 weeks so it can "tag" as many people as possible (and thus making it harder for cheaters from updating their code).

As I said above, FORMAT if you are going to create a new account (remember you can't transfer games to another account, so you will have to re-buy them!).

Of course, if you are banned from a server by a Admin, you are only banned from THAT server - VAC bans are global and are automatically applied.

OP
C

Crazycat542

Expert
So. if i get banned its based on the Engine. Awkward but good enouph. So that means if i get banned on ANY accounts it wont effect the other ones i have. (If that makes any sense at all)

InsaneMatt

Expert
Assuming the hack/trainer/virus/trojan isn't active at the time of an account being used, it wont get VAC banned - even if another account was from the same machine.

Think of it as mulitple accounts to this forum... If one is deleted/banned, the other isn't effected.

I would still recommend a FORMAT just to be safe - if you don't know what caused the original banning, thus it could happen again with the new one.

OP
C

Crazycat542

Expert
Yesterday like 2 hours after the last post i made i had a big virus it wouldn't allow me to open up ANY Protection software but i got avast to schedule a boot time scan but the virus has deleted alot of files that are not worth getting back. So i might just Format my computer. One thing im worried about is I don't backup my Steam games. I have too much on the account :S. So right now im wondering if i format the desktop with the games installed i can remove it and install on my new install of Windows XP.

InsaneMatt

Expert
I am not sure what you are asking there.

I'll try and start from the beginning...

1. STEAM is designed to allow you to download and install your games on as many machines as you wish (not at the same time of course). This means if I went to your house, I could log into my STEAM account on your PC and download ANY (or ALL) of my games that I own. I will not be charged anything for this, and neither will you (assuming you have "unlimited bandwidth").

2. VAC bans are GLOBALLY assigned to your STEAM ID - If your account gets VAC banned, you will not be able to play ANY game that uses the same Graphics Engine as the one which you were banned in. For example; getting banned in Garry's Mod would get you banned in TF2, Counter Strike: Source, etc...

3. VAC bans are on a per account basis - If your account gets banned, I can still use my STEAM account on the same machine without the worry of being banned too (provided whatever triggered the ban is removed).

4. You can not transfer games to other accounts - This means that your new account will have NO GAMES - You will have to RE-PURCHASE ALL YOUR GAMES!