did everyone just stop coming on?

InsaneMatt

Expert
This sort of thing happens with all of Duncan's revamps.
It's to due with the community's age; most members are young (mid-teens at most). At that age, you're easily distracted (not to say older people aren't). Once they disappear, the rest of us stagnate and wander off too.

Only real way to keep this community alive is to draw in some older members. How you'd do that? I wouldn't know.

OP
thedigi321

thedigi321

Guru
This sort of thing happens with all of Duncan's revamps.
It's to due with the community's age; most members are young (mid-teens at most). At that age, you're easily distracted (not to say older people aren't). Once they disappear, the rest of us stagnate and wander off too.

Only real way to keep this community alive is to draw in some older members. How you'd do that? I wouldn't know.
what might become of the community if we cant find more people?

Gekz

Guru
We're covered until October anyway.

There's a lot of information in the Blog as well as the Forums and Techbase that warrant them all sticking around.

It's also my passion and I'll never give up on that :relaxed:

We had this issue with forums before, it's hard to keep fresh without participation from everyone, plus people default to post to facebook/reddit etc.

Still trying to think of ways to draw people in that offers something other places don't. Suggestions always welcome.
Good luck finding that, in this day and age its pretty hard to establish a site and keep it being active. I have a feeling that the solution will boil down to some custom software beyond these readily available scripts.

Duncan

Administrator
I'm not confident custom software will provide anything extra than problems. It's the content that's "supposed" to bring the eyeballs.

Xenforo and Wordpress are both tried and true trusted software that work great and are heavily optimised for SEO, as well as being familiar for users. Shoving something completely new (remember Oxwall?) is disorienting and most features would likely not get used (in that case, everyone just used the Forum).

Some forums have content that is still useful that was posted circa 2010, this forum has been up since February, so still plenty of time to work on things.

We're not completely empty like a lot of Forums out there, a Forum can be active even if it gets 1 post a day. Either way I appreciate all of you sticking around and coming on now and again.

This sort of thing happens with all of Duncan's revamps
The road to success is paved with failures. Each one is a learning experience.

Gekz

Guru
I'm not confident custom software will provide anything extra than problems. It's the content that's "supposed" to bring the eyeballs.

Xenforo and Wordpress are both tried and true trusted software that work great and are heavily optimised for SEO, as well as being familiar for users. Shoving something completely new (remember Oxwall?) is disorienting and most features would likely not get used (in that case, everyone just used the Forum).

Some forums have content that is still useful that was posted circa 2010, this forum has been up since February, so still plenty of time to work on things.

We're not completely empty like a lot of Forums out there, a Forum can be active even if it gets 1 post a day. Either way I appreciate all of you sticking around and coming on now and again.

The road to success is paved with failures. Each one is a learning experience.
I didn't mean something completely new I meant something custom as in, something that isn't picked off a shelf but could cater to a websites needs in some form. Think on the lines of myspace and then facebook came along forcing myspace to change to cater to something or focus. content definitely helps but without something else to bring in the users the content won't be there so you are kind of in a catch 22 situation.

Best advice I can give is for the Lord of Valhalla, don't change again :P

AppleHead493

Professional
Probabl best to get some advertising online on other forums and websites, get some more traffic coming in.

As for me I'm mainly active on Spiceworks (trying to get myself promoted to a Tabasco chilli :wink: ), so have been fairly quiet on here recently.

Duncan

Administrator
Rome wasn't built in a day, plenty of improvements to make, and plenty of time to do it.

One thing that has always worked is providing some form of value, the more useful stuff there is here, the more people will use it.

Although the community is very old, this forum (as of this post) is only 6 months old, who knows, in a few years time we'll look back on this thread and laugh.