"Corrupted" VHD Recovery

Reactions
14 0 0
I was about to run my Windows XP VM in VirtualBox, but an error showed up saying it can't start the VM due the VHD was corrupted.
unknown.png
I've searched tons of solutions on Google, used a lot of tools, but none of them worked except for WinImage.
WinImage read the VHD fine, extracted some files and some of them are extracted correctly.
Screenshot_1.png
But it can't export to another VHD file for whatever reason (It always get stuck at 1%).
Now, here's the thing. Is the VHD really corrupted? Are there anyways to recover at least some of the files?
Any helpful comments would be awesome! If none of them works, I'll accept defeat and revert to an older snapshot, but don't worry! I'll be fine :relaxed:

Duncan

Administrator
Reactions
168 1 0
Does the VHD attach using Disk Manager in Windows? Believe you can mount them there

Reactions
22 1 0
There's not a fantastic amount of things you can try, at least what I can think of.
VHD file types aren't always used equally, so different versions of software may not read them (kind of like how greater compression levels WinZip has for ZIP archives aren't always supported by other tools).

One thing you could try is opening the VHD file in 7-zip. I've had mixed results doing this; sometimes they'll open and others they just cause 7-zip to crash.

Reactions
14 0 0
There's not a fantastic amount of things you can try, at least what I can think of.
VHD file types aren't always used equally, so different versions of software may not read them (kind of like how greater compression levels WinZip has for ZIP archives aren't always supported by other tools).

One thing you could try is opening the VHD file in 7-zip. I've had mixed results doing this; sometimes they'll open and others they just cause 7-zip to crash.
7-zip did opened the VHD file. Inside it is a IMG file. I tried to extract it but it failed. Screenshot_1.png

Reactions
14 0 0
Could be a slightly modified structure usage (as I mentioned in the previous post) or the file itself is corrupt.
Hmm... Looking at the original VHD and the other snapshot, it seems different. I don't know how did that VHD contained itself in one IMG file.
Screenshot_1.png