Compilation of super awesome software that's free!

Reactions
4 0 0
Post here and I'll add
So what software do you use that is free and think that it should be worth shouting about? Do you use it on a day to day basis? Then shout about it and I'll add it to the list. Please note tho, this list should only be quality software, not stuff you use once because you had to and it was bug ridden. As well software which is free that you use because you have to and don't enjoy shouldn't be counted. For example I have to use GIMP at we don't have Photoshop however I really don't like GIMP hence I won't include it in the list.

Also a brief description would help.

Here's the list so far:

Master List
  • KeePass - Free password management that allows for you to store, create and manage account. The database is encrypted with a single private key or distribute partial private keys. A random generated private key and pass phrase can be used. Store the database on google drive and suddenly you have a handy way to keep you're passwords super safe
  • Notepad++ - SO much better than Microsoft's not pad. Allows syntax highlighting, extended character set, macros and a whole wealth of plugins.
  • Cygwin - Allows you to use GNU's BASH on windows (unix commands). Dam how I love less, tail and grep.
  • Eclipse - Partially because I'm a java developer but it is a frikicing amazing IDE if your a programmer. Allows for simple to advanced tasks like managing servers, debugging remote applications from and IDE.... AWESOME!
  • Putty - Remote SSH client that allows you to store sessions. Amazing if you have several servers to manage.
  • Chrome/Firefox - Enough said
  • Thunderbird - Simple lightweight mail client. Very good.
  • Teracopy - far superior copying utility for windows. Faster, allows for stop/start/pause copying, integrity verify.
  • ImgBurn - simple lightweight image burning utility and disk to image ripper.
  • Filezilla - Free FTP client. Light weight and stores sessions.
  • SourceTree - Git/Mercurial repository management tool. Very nice GUI and allows for some pretty advanced features.
  • 7-zip - Far better compression client to Microsoft's awfulness. Support's far superior algorithms.
  • FFMPEG/Format Factory - Command line (FFMPEG)/GUI (Format Factory) based conversion tool for basically any format.
  • VLC - Support most/all video format's. Very handy.
  • VIm - Great code editor for any language. It is very old, so it takes some time to get used to. Since it has been around for a while, though, it is very stable and has TONS of plugins. It has great customization, too.
  • SublimeText - I never really got into this editor because, well, I like VIm. It definitely has promise and looks great, though.
  • ZIM - A great local wiki file editor. Perfect for taking quick notes in class, during conferences, etc.
  • Dropbox - The perfect solution for syncing files across multiple devices (Alternatives: Google Drive)
  • f.lux - Great little tool that has become increasingly popular. Makes it so the screen color changes slightly as it gets darker to reduce eye strain.
Deadcore's
  • KeePass - Free password management that allows for you to store, create and manage account. The database is encrypted with a single private key or distribute partial private keys. A random generated private key and pass phrase can be used. Store the database on google drive and suddenly you have a handy way to keep you're passwords super safe
  • Notepad++ - SO much better than Microsoft's not pad. Allows syntax highlighting, extended character set, macros and a whole wealth of plugins.
  • Cygwin - Allows you to use GNU's BASH on windows (unix commands). Dam how I love less, tail and grep.
  • Eclipse - Partially because I'm a java developer but it is a frikicing amazing IDE if your a programmer. Allows for simple to advanced tasks like managing servers, debugging remote applications from and IDE.... AWESOME!
  • Putty - Remote SSH client that allows you to store sessions. Amazing if you have several servers to manage.
  • Chrome/Firefox - Enough said
  • Thunderbird - Simple lightweight mail client. Very good.
  • Teracopy - far superior copying utility for windows. Faster, allows for stop/start/pause copying, integrity verify.
  • ImgBurn - simple lightweight image burning utility and disk to image ripper.
  • Filezilla - Free FTP client. Light weight and stores sessions.
  • SourceTree - Git/Mercurial repository management tool. Very nice GUI and allows for some pretty advanced features.
  • 7-zip - Far better compression client to Microsoft's awfulness. Support's far superior algorithms.
  • FFMPEG/Format Factory - Command line (FFMPEG)/GUI (Format Factory) based conversion tool for basically any format.
  • VLC - Support most/all video format's. Very handy.

Brandonio21
  • VIm - Great code editor for any language. It is very old, so it takes some time to get used to. Since it has been around for a while, though, it is very stable and has TONS of plugins. It has great customization, too.
  • SublimeText - I never really got into this editor because, well, I like VIm. It definitely has promise and looks great, though.
  • ZIM - A great local wiki file editor. Perfect for taking quick notes in class, during conferences, etc.
  • Dropbox - The perfect solution for syncing files across multiple devices (Alternatives: Google Drive)
  • f.lux - Great little tool that has become increasingly popular. Makes it so the screen color changes slightly as it gets darker to reduce eye strain.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandonio21

Professional
Reactions
4 0 0
Since I am a software developer, most of these will be tailored to development, but still.

VIm -
Great code editor for any language. It is very old, so it takes some time to get used to. Since it has been around for a while, though, it is very stable and has TONS of plugins. It has great customization, too.
SublimeText - I never really got into this editor because, well, I like VIm. It definitely has promise and looks great, though.
ZIM - A great local wiki file editor. Perfect for taking quick notes in class, during conferences, etc.
Dropbox - The perfect solution for syncing files across multiple devices (Alternatives: Google Drive)
f.lux - Great little tool that has become increasingly popular. Makes it so the screen color changes slightly as it gets darker to reduce eye strain.

There is so much more.. but I don't have that much time! May come back to edit later :wink:

Reactions
13 0 0
What didn't you like about GIMP? It was my first thought when I saw the first sentance. I love it! I'm too cheap to shell out for Photoshop, GIMP does everything I need (Which to be fair isn't a lot, I like just playing with my tablet and painting mostly) for free.

Reactions
4 0 0
Since I am a software developer, most of these will be tailored to development, but still.
VIm - Great code editor for any language. It is very old, so it takes some time to get used to. Since it has been around for a while, though, it is very stable and has TONS of plugins. It has great customization, too.
SublimeText - I never really got into this editor because, well, I like VIm. It definitely has promise and looks great, though.
ZIM - A great local wiki file editor. Perfect for taking quick notes in class, during conferences, etc.
Dropbox - The perfect solution for syncing files across multiple devices (Alternatives: Google Drive)
f.lux - Great little tool that has become increasingly popular. Makes it so the screen color changes slightly as it gets darker to reduce eye strain.

There is so much more.. but I don't have that much time! May come back to edit later :wink:
VIm ¬_¬ That thing kills me when I have to use it. always have to look at the man page. Is it i to start writting... or insert :S? and how to save......
SublimeText looks good.
ZIM strangly I was looking for one of those a while back. Cheers.
Dropbox how did I forget about that :neutral:
f.lux I saw that on someones laptop once, never used it before. Could be interesting.

What didn't you like about GIMP? It was my first thought when I saw the first sentance. I love it! I'm too cheap to shell out for Photoshop, GIMP does everything I need (Which to be fair isn't a lot, I like just playing with my tablet and painting mostly) for free.
So my problem with gimp is the UI/ergonomics of it. Nothing is where it should be personally. Functionally its fairly well equipped however its not very intuitive. Photoshop however from what I've "heard" :wink: is very intuitive and every button is where it's supposed to be. It's not cluttered which gimp is IMO, simple but effective.

Reactions
13 0 0
So my problem with gimp is the UI/ergonomics of it. Nothing is where it should be personally. Functionally its fairly well equipped however its not very intuitive. Photoshop however from what I've "heard" :wink: is very intuitive and every button is where it's supposed to be. It's not cluttered which gimp is IMO, simple but effective.
Ahah, I can't deny this. It took me a lot longer to get used too than any other art program I've used, once you get the hang of it it's great for a freebie though. :relaxed:

Reactions
6 0 0
ShareX is my favourite free program at the moment, allows quick and easy upload and sharing of screenshots, text snippets and files.
HexChat is my current IRC client of choice.
TeamSpeak is awesome for group voice chat, Mumble is also pretty good for similar purposes.
TeamViewer is my remote desktop application of choice at the moment.
X-Mouse Button Control is a useful mouse button re-mapping application I use on a daily basis.
Stardock Fences is an aewsome tool to categorise and sort desktop icons, for those who still store files there.
Raptr is a great application to track gameplay time across all platforms.
Last.FM Scrobbler is what I currently use to track what music I listen to.
Xshell is my newest SSH client of choice, with Xftp being my new FTP/SFTP client of choice.

I think that's about it for now.

brandonio21

Professional
Reactions
4 0 0
VIm ¬_¬ That thing kills me when I have to use it. always have to look at the man page. Is it i to start writting... or insert :S? and how to save......
Haha, it definitely takes a while to get used to. i is to enter INSERT mode, which is used to start writing. You can save by exiting edit mode and using the w (write) command. Or more specifically..
Esc -> :w -> Enter

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
CCleaner - great tools to fix problems and clean your pc up.
WhatPulse - Tracks how much you click your mouse or press keys every day.
WinRAR - Archiver
VirtualDJ FREE - Dj app for those who want to learn the basics
UltraSearch - Makes searching thing on your pc faster
TreeSize Free - Show the size of files and folders on the system. Great way to find very large folders easily.
ItunesKeys - Gives the ability to assign any key to play/pause/... buttons in itunes, plus it gives a nice popup (wich is totally customizable) when changing track with information (and artwork) of the new track.
VirtualBox - Free Virtualization Software
VirtuaWin - A Virtual Desktop Manager. It allows users to switch between virtual desktops to maintain their workspaces seperate. It also has the ability for plugins.
Synthesia - practise your piano-playing skills.
Speccy - Shows all the information it can find about your hardware, even the temperature of your motherboard (if it's measurable)
Skype - Call to people through WiFi
Recuva - Retreives lost/deleted content from any media on your pc.
RealVNC - Remote access of anything. Unlike Teamviewer, vnc is also able to connect to (rooted) android phones or (jailbroken) ios devices.
QuickTime - Substitute for Windows Media Player
RealDesktop - Turn your desktop into a 3D workspace
ProxySwitcher - Returns a list of proxies that are working, their responce time and from wich country they are
EasyPHP - Full PHP server, easy to set up. Only for development purposes
AutoHotkey - Enables users to fully customize hotkeys to their extent. Uses scripts and has advanced functions.
NetBeans - IDE to program Java
MSI AfterBurner - Read measurements from your graphics card
iFunBox - Browser for (jailbroken) iOS Devices.
FurMark - Test the performance of your graphics card
FFsplit - Broadcaster (like xSplit)
Free Studio Manager - Lot's of functions: converting stuff, downloading from youtube, burning dvd's, ...
DisplayFusion - Adds options to multiple-monitor Systems. Things like second start bar, ...
Cheat Engine - change values in a game (money or health)
Blender - 3D animating
Aptana - PHP IDE
BlueJ - Java IDE
Spotify - Listen to any music for free, you have to withstand ads from time to time though

So that's about it. I do not use all the software at this moment on a daily basis, but I have used all of it in the past and those were good programs, so I thought why not put them here too.

Reactions
4 0 0
CCleaner - How did I forget that!!!!
WhatPulse - This isent really usful software???
WinRAR - Fair enough; the trial that never ends ^^
VirtualDJ FREE - Never knew they done a free version
UltraSearch - Usful
TreeSize Free - Usful
ItunesKeys -Usful
VirtualBox - Good bit of software
VirtuaWin - :O dident know this existed for windows...
Synthesia - How an earth would this work on a keyboard??
Speccy - Usful
Skype - Love it and I hate it!
Recuva - VERY Usful
RealVNC - Usful for general stuff.
QuickTime - *shivers*
RealDesktop - Would this help productivity :S ?
ProxySwitcher - *Installs*
EasyPHP - Awsome!
AutoHotkey - Usful
NetBeans - *Shivers*
MSI AfterBurner - Usful but not software you would use everyday
iFunBox - Usful but not software you would use everyday
FurMark - Usful but not software you would use everyday
FFsplit - ... never heard of this software :S? Elaborate please?
Free Studio Manager - Seems usful
DisplayFusion - *Download's*
Cheat Engine - Usful but not software you would use everyday
Blender - <3
Aptana - Is this not paid for?
BlueJ - People use blueJ :neutral:?
Spotify - <3

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
CCleaner - How did I forget that!!!!
WhatPulse - This isent really usful software???
WinRAR - Fair enough; the trial that never ends ^^
VirtualDJ FREE - Never knew they done a free version
UltraSearch - Usful
TreeSize Free - Usful
ItunesKeys -Usful
VirtualBox - Good bit of software
VirtuaWin - :O dident know this existed for windows...
Synthesia - How an earth would this work on a keyboard??
Speccy - Usful
Skype - Love it and I hate it!
Recuva - VERY Usful
RealVNC - Usful for general stuff.
QuickTime - *shivers*
RealDesktop - Would this help productivity :S ?
ProxySwitcher - *Installs*
EasyPHP - Awsome!
AutoHotkey - Usful
NetBeans - *Shivers*
MSI AfterBurner - Usful but not software you would use everyday
iFunBox - Usful but not software you would use everyday
FurMark - Usful but not software you would use everyday
FFsplit - ... never heard of this software :S? Elaborate please?
Free Studio Manager - Seems usful
DisplayFusion - *Download's*
Cheat Engine - Usful but not software you would use everyday
Blender - <3
Aptana - Is this not paid for?
BlueJ - People use blueJ :neutral:?
Spotify - <3
WinRar - After a bit of searching I also found a way to make sure the 'trial' window never came back.
Synthesia - lot's of practice? :p
RealDesktop - it depends what you like, and what pc it's installed on. For instance if you share one, then you can still have one account, but use multiple walls as desktop, or sort your own files likewise. It also houses the ability to create stacks.
NetBeans - Have to use it for school... No passing around that :pensive:
iFunBox - I used it daily when I used my iPod for apps and music. It has abilities to delete, install, even permanent install apps or delete them.
FFsplit - FFsplit is a screen recording software that can create scenes for broadcasting. A scene can be made up of different video and/or image layers that merge into a single stream (online or locally). The interface allows rapid changing of scenes, or shifting feeds onscreen whilest a recording is busy, or while you're streaming. Great app to stream to Twitch for example.
Aptana - is to my belief totally free.
BlueJ - In my school they do

For the rest you're probably right, but I'd thought to put it here anyways, now you can choose what you want in your list :3

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0