Can I upgrade from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 RTM?

A

AdrianK

I have a copy of Windows 7 RC installed in my computer.

As the release to manufacture (RTM) date is on 22nd October 2009, I decided to buy the Windows 7 Ultimate.

Question is: I have a copy of Windows 7 RC genuine and I want to upgrade ( I change the product key of Windows 7 RC, and insert my new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate genuine key. ).  Is it possible to do so?

lorner96

Trainee
Nope, insert the disc, reboot, boot in to the disc, wipe all existing partitions (back up stuff to online backup or to an external HDD (unplug it before wiping partitions)) and let it install.  :wink:

Gekz

Guru
RTM is allready available to Manufactures and Technet subscribers ONLY, why do i get a feeling your doing some illegal stuff, anyways Retail / OEM versions are the only ones you will be able to get on 22nd, u saying RTM makes me think u have aquired it in one form or another

theres a way to upgrade from rc to "RTM" but its best to do a full system install cos of any bugs from RC will need to be fixed with a clean install

InsaneMatt

Expert
In theory, yes you could but why would you?

Let's think about it... The Release Candiate is an unfinished version of the product, meaning some things may not function correctly (including third party applications).

Your use of the "RTM" (release to manufacturing) tag makes me nervous about your intentions too! You, as a consumer, shouldn't have access to that release.
May I also point out that Windows Seven is released to consumers on the 22nd October (the retail release), as the "RTM" edition has been out for a while for manufactures (i.e DELL, HP, Alienware, Acer, etc).

OP
A

AdrianK

Hehe....

Maybe I spoke wrongly about RTM (what I meant was the OEM version)....

I maybe stupidly followed those advertisitments, but whatever.

I meant that can I upgrade my Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 OEM version.

Sorry guys! For that unnecessary worries and troubles...

But I thought that Windows 7 RC and the OEM version is upgradeable. Is it true? or I have to reformat and reinstall it again... ?

Adrian

Do you mean that Windows updates is differently offered to the both versions? (I mean different, seperate updates for RC and OEM).

If you said so, I maybe have to backup my 40GB+ before the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM DVD arrives before my doorstep.  ;D