Windows Application Spotlight: AutoHotkey

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
AutoHotkey is this really neat program that enables you to use hotkeys for whatever you like. Things like opening a new program, resizing, or moving windows, ... This can be scripted using plain old notepad and a lot of knowledge what you're doing, or with a Macro Recorder.

-

You create a script (you can use the online documentation for that). Some advantages:

- You can run multiple hotkey files at once!
Say you are using a batch of special hotkeys for windows. but then you decide to start working with, let's say Word. You simply load up the hotkey-file for word, and you're good to go!

- Convert your hotkeys to programs
Share your hotkeys with people who don't have AHK installed. AHK has the ability to convert scripts to exe's.

- scripting with variables
By using scripts, AHK has the ability to use variables.This enhances customization.

Conclusion:
Writing your first program will most definatly take a lot of time to search and write, unless you are using a Macro Recorder, but it saves you much time on the long run.

http://www.autohotkey.com/

Macro Recorder:
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/21866-macro-recorder/

Tell me what you think! :relaxed:
[Antpower]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
26 0 0
A good Alternative on Linux would be Synapse which you can get from the Software Centre and there's no need to write your own scripts.

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
I'm yet to truely get into the meat of autohotkey but I know it's invaluable to a lot of people

Could you give some examples of what you're using it for?

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
I'm using it to shortcut certain events. For example, if I'm writing code, I have certain hotkeys setup to pretype a snippet in the code.
You can also set up hotkeys to open certain folders, or even launch a program. It can type and click for you, basically. When on my desktop,
I simply use a hotkey to open up Ableton for example, and the hotkeyfile for the program is automatically loaded, and the hotkeys adapted.
Then I can easily proceed working on my music with the new hotkeys.
I think it could be usefull to the ones using their pc a lot, and want to work faster.