Any good antivirus software?

M

M0nk3h

Hello, recently my friends subscription for Norton has run out and rung me to say "can you come and sort my pc out blah blah blah...." so i said yes i'll come up and have a look at it, but i don't know which free anti-virus to replace it with?

any ideas?

-M0nk3h

OP
M

M0nk3h

I really want to stay off the avg side and avast because she won't know how to enter the key after the free year key for avast! and i really want to try something else, any ideas?

If i have to i'll just install avg thats if i can't find any others.

Plz ppl post i need this info for tommorow!

GoonerGod

Expert
Avira Home Free Edition, it comes up top on the AV comparison website.

OP
M

M0nk3h

Do i need to re-enter a serial every year like avast and are there automatic updates?

OP
M

M0nk3h

I am back and installed avira, once installed it found a mass load of viruses to when she had norton and i did try avg but it didn't detect anything :-/ so once3 i installed avira, as soon as it finished installing and went to update the program it poped up saying it had detected something!

compgenius999

Trainee
I use avast myself, it has never missed a single virus that other AV's catch, it  updates 2-3 times a day, but avira only updates once a day, also, avast doesn't give you huge pop-ups like avira when it updates, those are some good reasons to use avast instead of avira, the only bad part, is you have to get a new key every year she might not know how to do that, its free though,

Pandaboy

Guru
Definitely Avira Antivir free antivirus, it has a very good detection rate and heuristics  and is also very light weight.