AntiVirus Question

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
I got a computer that had a virus on it. I cleaned the virus from it, but when i go to log in to windows, the antivirus program says supicas (how ever you spell the word) activity and logs me out.

I can't even log in, to disable the antivirus or uninstall it, to get my files off, so i can reinstall the OS.

I have tried booting in safe mode and all the safe mode options, even trying the last known good configuration, nothing is working.

If anyone has any suggestions for me to try or what i should do...i would greatly love to hear them.

I have XP Home.

Thanks for any help

Tech_Swaby

Reactions
2 0 0
It seems that the only option is to reinstall your OS. Try using a Live CD of Ubuntu to take the important things out of it. Also, what's the name of the AntiVirus?

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
Thats what i was thinking i would have to do, is just to reinstall.

I was thinking of running a live Cd and see if i can transfer files from the drive.

the antivirus is spyware doctor with anti virus.

Reactions
0 0 0
You probably have to reinstall the os or at least trying to open explorer.exe in the task manager. I hope it helps ya.  8)

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
Reinstalling is what i thought i would have to do, but i thought i would ask and see if there was anything else i could try.

I know reinstall fixes about any problem, but i wanted to make sure i checked all my opition first.

I don't think i can bring the task manager up, because it will log me out, before i can do anything.  I can't even disable the AV or uninstall it, because it won't let me get that far.

I will let you know of any updates that i try or what i decide to do. I am going to try the live cd and see if i can get my files.

thanks for your help those that have helped

MTS

Trainee
Reactions
1 0 0
I tried to log in, but it doesn't even get as far as showing the task bar or desktop, before logging me out.

I tried using a Live CD and i was able to transfer my files to a external hdd, then i just formatted and reinstalled the OS and everything seems to be working now.

thanks to those that have put suggestions for me.