[ALL] New versions

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
An OS is constantly updated, and in every couple of years, there is a new OS with brand new features. What updates would you like to see in the futu-re updates of your favorite OS? What could be changed, or even deleted? Since I'm on Windows, I have this short list for 'Windows 9':

• Choise for disabling the metro-apps and metro menu (will probably never happen...)
  • ability to 'freeze' the computer. What I mean by that is: you buy a brand-new pc. and you install all your software needed on it. Then you 'freeze' the computer, so nothing can be altered except certain folders. This way you could always start with a 'fresh' Windows installation, and it wouldn't get all clogged up in a while.
  • Saving RAM at certain times: When you put your pc into hibernation mode, Windows put's a copy of your RAM onto your harddrive, so that when the pc starts up, it can write it back to the memory. Wouldn't it be great if Windows could also work with these 'states'. Say you're working on a file, and suddenly your textprocessor crashes on you, and you loose all your work, wouldn't it be easy to reset a previous state and save it before anything bad happens?
  • Multiphoto backgrounds: If you want multiple photo's on one desktop, you need to create a new photo from several. But If Windows could integrate this into the desktop, we could be able to have several frames, each changing photo independantly.
So that's about it for my thoughts, feel free to share yours!

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
Windows User Here too.

In terms of freezing the computer, Windows XP used to have SteadyState that did this but it got phased out in 2010

I'd like to see:
  • Better Window Management (I still can't believe we have to download a tool to do "always on top")
  • More options for multiple monitors
  • Less focus on touchscreens (won't happen)
  • Better Clipboard (save multiple items)
  • Start Menu or toolbar with essential features
  • Better desktop organisation
  • Mount drives to desktop
  • Custom shortcuts, tasks and folders in the taskbar

Just a few off the top of my head.

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
You mean like 'Pin to' in Windows 7?
Kind of... if you pin a folder to the taskbar and click it, it'll send you to libraries

Not all shortcuts will go there either (steam games anyone?)

antpower

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
To pin a folder to the taskbar, use the conventional way, but to open it, you need to right-click explorer, and up top the context menu are your pinned folders.

And for the Steam games, I've found a workaround on steampowered.com:

Try this (under Windows 7, but similar for older versions of Windows):
  1. Right click on your desktop
  2. Select New->Shortcut
  3. Enter the location of the Steam executable. E.g. "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe"
  4. Click Next and enter the name of the game
  5. Click Finish
  6. Right click on your new shortcut
  7. Outside the quotes of the target location, add this text: -applaunch. So your target will look something like this: "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch
  8. Now you need to find the id of the game. If you have a Steam shortcut on your desk, right click on it and select Properties. It should have a URL that looks like this: steam://rungameid/24960
  9. The number to the right of the last / is the game id, copy or remember this
  10. Go back to where you pasted -applaunch and enter a single space after it then the game id. Your target location should now look like this (the example is for Battlefield BadCompany 2) "D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 24960
  11. Click the Change Icon... button and search to the same location as the steam.exe you found previously
  12. There should be another steam folder and under that a games folder (i.e. steam/games/). Open it up and in there should be a .ico file for your game. In my example the path to the icon looks like this: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games\97ba421bc833f6b5dcca175584 c466883ef15bdd.ico
  13. Select the icon you want and click Ok, Ok etc

Et voila! There are a few steps, but once you've done it once it's easy. Proper Windows shortcuts for your Steam games! Not sure it works with all games, but it works with the ones I have...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hronk

Professional
Reactions
3 0 0
As a OSX user I'm pretty happy with Mavericks so far.

Maybe allowing for more customisation? Mavericks killed Candy Bar :pensive:

Duncan

AKA mobilephone2003
Reactions
169 1 0
To pin a folder to the taskbar, use the conventional way, but to open it, you need to right-click explorer, and up top the context menu are your pinned folders.

And for the Steam games, I've found a workaround on steampowered.com:
You've just shown extra steps to get to what should be done in a couple clicks, thats why it should be done by default

Freezing your computer would be an amazing idea to bring into the consumer market!
No need, it's already here, take mine, explorer freezes all the time