About Viruses + My 10 Ways to Enhance Security.

S

Syntax-Shadow

There are not many people out there who know about Malware, Spyware, Adware, Rootkits, Worms, Trojans,
and all those other bad little things.

So hopefully I will 'enlighten' you all on viruses in this topic :relaxed:

What is ad-ware?

ad-ware is Internet slang for Advertising Supported software. It is a way for shareware authors to make money from a product, other than by selling it to the users. There are several large media companies that offer them to place banner ads in their products in exchange for a portion of the revenue from banner sales. This way, you don't have to pay for the software and the developers are still getting paid. If you find the banners annoying, there is usually an option to remove them, by paying the regular licensing fee.

What is mal-ware?

Also known as Malicious Software, is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The term is a portmanteau of the words malicious and software. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.

What are Computer Viruses?

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without permission or knowledge of the user. The term "virus" is also commonly used, albeit erroneously, to refer to many different types of malware and adware programs. The original virus may modify the copies, or the copies may modify themselves, as occurs in a metamorphic virus. A virus can only spread from one computer to another when its host is taken to the uninfected computer, for instance by a user sending it over a network or the Internet, or by carrying it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, or USB drive. Meanwhile viruses can spread to other computers by infecting files on a network file system or a file system that is accessed by another computer. Viruses are sometimes confused with computer worms and Trojan horses. A worm can spread itself to other computers without needing to be transferred as part of a host, and a Trojan horse is a file that appears harmless. Worms and Trojans may cause harm to either a computer system's hosted data, functional performance, or networking throughput, when executed. In general, a worm does not actually harm either the system's hardware or software, while at least in theory, a Trojan's payload may be capable of almost any type of harm if executed. Some can't be seen when the program is not running, but as soon as the infected code is run, the Trojan horse kicks in. That is why it is so hard for people to find viruses and other malware themselves and why they have to use spyware programs and registry processors.

My 10 ways to protect yourself/be more secure!
    I should know, I admit i've coded my share of viruses before now..

1. Check Windows Update and Office Update regularly (http://office.microsoft.com/productupdates); have your Office CD ready. Windows Me, 2000, and XP users can configure automatic updates. Click on the Automatic Updates tab in the System control panel and choose the appropriate options.

2. Install a personal firewall. Both SyGate (www.sygate.com) and ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) offer free versions.

3. Install a free spyware blocker. My choice would be NOD32, Its fairly good at detecting all virus types..

4. Block pop-up spam messages in Windows NT, 2000, or XP by disabling the Windows Messenger service (this is unrelated to the instant messaging program). Open Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services and you'll see Messenger. Right-click and go to Properties. Set Start-up Type to Disabled and press the Stop button. Bye-bye, spam pop-ups! Any good firewall will also stop them.

5. Use strong passwords and change them periodically. Passwords should have at least seven characters; use letters and numbers and have at least one symbol. A decent example would be R3V3L4T10N. This will make it much harder for anyone to gain access to your accounts.

6. If you're using Outlook or Outlook Express, use the current version or one with the Outlook Security Update installed. The update and current versions patch numerous vulnerabilities.

7. Buy antivirus software and keep it up to date. If you're not willing to pay, try Grisoft AVG Free Edition (Grisoft Inc., www.grisoft.com). And doublecheck your AV with the free, online-only scanners available at www.pandasoftware.com/activescan and http://housecall.trendmicro.com.

8. If you have a wireless network, turn on the security features: Use MAC filtering, turn off SSID broadcast, and even use WEP with the biggest key you can get. For more, check out our wireless section or see the expanded coverage in Your Unwired World in our next issue.

9. Join a respectable e-mail security list, such as the one found at our own Security Supersite at http://security.ziffdavis.com, so that you learn about emerging threats quickly and can take proper precautions.

10. Be skeptical of things on the Internet. Don't assume that e-mail "From:" a particular person is actually from that person until you have further reason to believe it's that person. Don't assume that an attachment is what it says it is. Don't give out your password to anyone, even if that person claims to be from "support."

Those are my 10 top tips, I hope this enlightened you all on viruses >.>

Reactions
0 0 0
Re: About SPYWARE + My 10 Ways to Enhance Security.

"Spy-ware is Internet slang for Advertising Supported software (Ad-ware). "

Shouldn't it say "Adware is Internet slang for Advertising Supported software."?

S

Syntax-Shadow

:O i didnt see that, i could've sworn i wrote Ad-Ware :P
Gimme a sec and ill edit it,
SORRY to all who have read this so far :P

*its the heat ya see, ive been on this computer for 3 hours writing guides in 40 degrees C :relaxed:*

I know.. no excuses, but it is pretty hot :P

Reactions
0 0 0
Syntax-Shadow link said:
Windows Me, 2000, and XP users can configure automatic updates.
Vista can also do this can't it?

S

Syntax-Shadow

I'm Not sure, I don't use vista which is why i didn't put it in, Im pretty sure it does though, why wouldn't it? :relaxed:

G

Expert
Reactions
0 0 0
I'm using Avast antivirus and comodo firewall also have spybot,I've never had any problems with them and find them both reliable.

Reactions
0 0 0
spybot is good with its immunization service. I do it then uninstall the program. Hope t is still invulnerable from those threats.

3238liam

Professional
Reactions
0 0 0
the first bit was great all that can be confusing telling the differences between them thanks for making it clear Syntax-Shadow