10 Reasons You Should Upgrade to Windows 7

Reactions
0 0 0
On October 22, just a couple months from now, Microsoft will be releasing its most hyped Operating System to date - Windows 7. I've been using the Beta and Release Candidate for the last couple months and I can definitely tell you that I will be upgrading. As a PC owner, you have to ask yourself if you should upgrade - and why. Quite simply, it is better than any of its predecessors, especially because of these:

Speed
Windows 7 is FAST. It boots up and starts your favorite programs faster than you thought your machine was capable  of doing. Much faster that a computer running Vista on the same hardware; maybe even XP. In my opinion, this in itself worth the upgrade.

The Superbar
Windows 7 features a completely redesigned taskbar, called the Superbar. Very similar to the dock on OS X, the Superbar allows you to get to all of your favorite programs faster and easier. It is also customizable, allowing you to drag and drop your favorite programs and folders to the Bar to create a new shortcut.

UAC
The first task for people who install Vista is turning off UAC (User Account Controls). Although Windows 7 still has UAC, it is much improved. In Vista, you had the option to leave it on, or turn it off. 7 allows you to set different security levels. For example, you can set it to warn you only when a program tries to make changes to your computer, and not warn you every time that you want to change a setting in Windows.

Jump Lists
Jump Lists are a completely new feature never seen in previous versions of Windows. When an icon on the Superbar is right-clicked, a list of options pertaining to the specific program are shown. For example, right clicking on the Internet Explorer icon would show you all the recent browsing history.

Better Hardware Compatability
The biggest issue that made Windows Vista so unpopular was lack of hardware comparability. Many devices didn't have proper drivers for Vista, so they ceased to function. This changed in Windows 7. It will work with nearly any device or hardware that was able to work for XP.

Compatibility Mode (XP Mode)
If in Windows Vista you found a program that simply wouldn't run, even with compatibility mode on, you were out of luck. With Windows 7, you don't have to worry about that problem. If you can't get a program running, a program that worked fine in XP, then you can simply run it in XP. In Compatibility Mode, Windows will actually run the program in an XP Window. If this doesn't make sense to you, look at the picture below.t

As you can see, one instance of the program is actually running in a Windows XP Virtual Machine.

Problem Steps Recorder
Another amazing feature of Windows 7 is the Problem Steps Recorder. It basically takes a screenshot whenever you click the mouse or hit a key. It then binds these into a compresses folder which you can easily show to someone that may be able to help you. For the end user, getting technical support will be much faster and easier.

Aero Snap + Shake
Aero Snap and Aero Shake are both great tools for managing your desktop. When dragged a window is dragged to the side of the Desktop, Aero Snap will kick in and resize the window to take up exactly of the Desktop. Lets say you have a few windows open, but your trying to focus on one. Aero Shake minimize all other windows by just grabbing the one that you want to stay open with your mouse and giving it a shake.

Theme and Customization
In Windows 7 you can customize different elements of the User Interface to create your own custom themes. It will export all of these aspects into a file that you can take with you and use on any Windows 7 computer, a feature that is not available in XP or Vista. Windows 7 also has another new feature called Desktop Slideshow. When enabled, the desktop wallpaper will change at intervals of 10 seconds up to a day at a time.

AppLocker
AppLocker, another new feature in Windows 7, lets you restrict use of any given programs on the machine. Don't want Internet Explorer to be opened? Add it in AppLocker and you, or anyone else for that matter, will be able to run it. The same is true for any program that you choose.

Reactions
0 0 0
WOW

I hv one question: how doi know if my machine will run WIN7?
And also, does it have multi-touch screen support for HP TX2? Or is there a specific edition needed like the Windows XP Tablet Edition

A

apple_head

jackel119 link said:
WOW

And also, does it have multi-touch screen support for HP TX2? Or is there a specific edition needed like the Windows XP Tablet Edition
If your computer can run Windows Vista it will run Windows 7. Search for the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on google and run it. That will tell you whether or not your computer will run Windows 7.

And great review HF :relaxed:

Reactions
0 0 0
apple_head link said:
[quote author=jackel119 link=topic=6087.msg56499#msg56499 date=1247644560]
WOW

If your computer can run Windows Vista it will run Windows 7. Search for the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on google and run it. That will tell you whether or not your computer will run Windows 7.
[/quote]

Actually no, since Windows 7 requires 1Gb of RAM while Vista only required 512MB. If your computer can run Vista and has  1GB or more of RAM, it can run 7.

Reactions
22 1 0
I've just pe-ordered it :smiley:
Ohh and there's a "pre-order" sale at the moment - Ebuyer.com, Play.com, Microsoft Store, etc.. are participaiting.

Here are some links (both from Play.com):
Windows Seven Professional E - £99.99 (save £150)
Windows Seven Home Premium E - £49.99 (save £100)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they are RETAIL versions (not OEMs) - So you can TRANSFER the license to another PC you build in a year's time.

Reactions
0 0 0
Thanks for telling me that, but can Win 7 use multi-touch? I am running on an HP TX2, which is a tablet pc, so will touch/multitouch/and my stylus work on windows 7<Do i need some drivers?